OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

dita message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: April 8 DITA TC minutes and action items

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: April 8 DITA TC minutes and action items
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2014 11:22:10 -0500
From: Don R Day <donrday@contelligencegroup.com>
To: Kristen James Eberlein <kris@eberleinconsulting.com>

Minutes attached.

The consolidated action items are:
ACTION: for Kris: Cancel TC meeting the week of DITA NA conference.
ACTION for Robert: Send out email by end of today to start progress on DITA 1.3 test plan.
ACTION for Eliot: Send out email about catalog identier cleanup to the list so TC can discuss next week.
ACTION for Eliot: Write a new reference entry for equation changes, revise base and examples so that we can redo the two procedural votes by end of month.
ACTION for Kris: Put key names on agenda for next week using email that Robert will send.

(PS Remove extraneous agenda items.)

That was a good meeting today, Kris.  I want to thank you for all your work to make this release move along; I think there is a good chance it will make it in 2014 thanks to your project leadership.

  • "Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?
  • Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?"
  • --T.S. Eliot

               OASIS DITA Technical Committee
                      Meeting Minutes
Scribe: Don Day
Chair: Kris Eberlein

Roll call: Quorum achieved.


Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
Kris requested approving next week to allow for an amendment

Active subcommittee and liaison efforts:

Report of DITA TechComm SC: (Stan Doherty)
Maintaining consistent meetings, currently working on:
1. Clarifying 1.3 rollout, 
2. 1.3 adoption rollout (focus on troubleshooting and versioning); 
3. Looking ahead at 2014 and beyond (modelling various regulatory and policies, semiconductor, process docs associated with agile/scrum industries)
4. Outreach to user community
5. Upcoming interest in Lightweight DITA and Simplified DITA and processing


Nancy Harrison back from surgery, doing well
Brian Schnabel has announced a new XLIFF standard approval
Poll of TC members at CMS DITA NA next month (ACTION: for Kris--appears we'll need to cancel TC meeting the week of DITA NA conference)
Need for secretary for 15 April 
JoAnn reminded group of announcement of IEEE CMS standard (IEEE docs are not free like OASIS standards, unfortunately)


    DITA 1.3 progress
        RelaxNG-to-DTD and RelaxNG-to-XSD transformations (Kimber)
        DITA 1.3 grammar files (Kimber)
Eliot has XSDs generating correctly except for ditabase (special case).
Working on automation of all testing coverage.
Next step: packaging for public evaluation.
Kris reminded that we need function to add OASIS comments when generating at some expected process points.
Eliot has places in code where comments can be generated.

        Redesign of "Contains and Contains by" (Anderson; due 8 April)
Not much new progress; differences between Robert's and Eliot's test setups.
Sees these tables as essential nonetheless.
Trying for redesign by next week.

        Update on first spec review (Eberlein & Anderson)
Kris: comments reduced down to 44 (about 100 in past week); keys content largely needing rework, as well as technical topics.
Robert: working on langref and more complex archspec topics; hopeful that today's issues will help on that backlog.
Kris: both met with Mekon to discuss ditaweb suggestions last week; may see workflow improvement for editors down the road.

        DITA 1.3 test plan (Anderson, Kimber, Nitchie, Helfinstine, Hudson; due 15 April)
>>ACTION: Robert will send out email by end of today to start progress on DITA 1.3 test plan.

        Generic language decision 
Kris: She and Robert have decided to use "xml grammar" to settle how to refer to all of DTD, XSD, RNG etc..

    New item: Cascading attribute metadata that merges (or not)
Robert: thinks we went through this last week. Kris will remove this item from  agenda.

    New item: 1.2 XSD catalog identifiers for subjectScheme and classification domain
Kris: observations about the catalog formats (1.2 does not follow consistent pattern--some entries have SC pattern vs TC pattern).
Eliot and Robert recommended duplicating the correct entries so as not to break the former lookups;
Eliot noted wider scope of instances in other domains exposed by generation exercise.
>>ACTION: Kris asked Eliot to send email about catalog identier cleanup to the list so TC can discuss next week.

    New item: App-specific values for @cascade
Robert noted this was based on a comment by Chris Nitchie, not likely to be an issue but looks silly as stated.
Current language is inconsistent compared to chunk discussion.
Robert's recommendations: Give a prefix, put values in parentheses.
TM wondered where these issues show; Robert says on chunk primarily.
Robert noted David Helfenstine's endorsement as well.
>>Kris gave Robert the go-ahead for his recommendation

    New item: Suggested revisions to the equation domain
Eliot sent an email to the list about latest discussions with Autumn Cuellar and recommendations.
His recommendation is the smallest change that will close the open issues.
Robert: noted that changing the base from p to div will limit integration into other doctypes; will mandate requiring 1.3 doctype.
Eliot: Could extend from fig rather than div with other issues; Robert agrees with div.
Robert: Will block presentation be numbered?
Eliot: There is no knowable answer; it is up to author's whim and nature of writing. Autumn noted that, in general, referenced equations get numbered.
typicall only when a reference is needed.
Robert discussed conventions for use of equation number as a signal to process a cross ref.
TM supported Eliot's as consistent with footnote markup.
Robert noted exceptions for footnotes (involving specific labels vs generated numbering).
TM default case is equation is not numbered; Robert agrees, consent.
(Side discussion:
Rob Thomas: BTW, what about the case of numbering in regulatory context?
Eliot: this is like a general number indicator that goes with the data.
Kris reminds us that this is late for new input; will need to bring up next revision. 
Eliot noted upcoming enumeration domain as a basis.)
Kris: Process-wise, should Eliot resubmit the proposal?
Robert agrees.
>>ACTION for Eliot: Write a new reference entry for equation changes, revise base and examples so that we can redo the two procedural votes by end of month.

    On-going item: Normative terminology

    New item: OASIS DITA 1.3 Webinar

        Should this be sponsored by Adoption TC or DITA TC? Joint venture of DITA TC & Adoption TC?
        What would be the desired audience and outcomes?
        Where would this fit in our timeline? 
Kris and JoAnn have been discussing this idea for May/June timeframe.
Perhaps one for general audience, one for vendors and implementers.
Don asked if Kris needed help with prep; Kris's CIDM preso could be a start.
Kris thinks by doing the general webinar first we might get feedback to give to vendors about priorities.
Robert agrees.
Robert will help prep; Eliot; Stan volunteered for admin-level help.

    New item: Triage Trello board for "Spec clarifications and improvements"
Kris reminded us that this section has not been looked at for some time.

    DITA 1.3 proposal process: Lessons learned
        What worked well?
        What didn't work?
        How can we improve the process in the future? 

Closing comments:
Robert reminds TC about email thread on key names/scopes discsussion--we need TC approval since will involve spec changes.
(key naming within branch filtering causes problems; had discussed with Eliot about removing some syntax.)
ACTION: Kris to put key names on agenda for next week using email that Robert will send.

8:50-8:55 PT Close 

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]