Subject: Suggested TC position WRT XSD usage from DITA 1.3 onward

Last week we started discussing the emerging dark reality of XSD's inability to handle constraints without direct editing, which mungles the DITA design pattern. So I'm reiterating many past discussions by suggesting that it's time to add a small statement into the spec that, besides moving to RNC as the normative declaration of ongoing DITA design patterns, that we add a new disclaimer that summarizes our past difficulties with XSD features needed for DITA (the XSD 1.1 feature issues need to be logged for historical reasons) and clarifying how to amend/create a one-off XSD instance that represents modifications that normally would be supported by RNC/DTD rules. I think we discussed this last week, but I hope we can get to disposition this week.

--
  • "Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?
  • Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?"