Subject: Re: [dita] Suggested TC position WRT XSD usage from DITA 1.3 onward

Hi Eliot,

That sounds good to me.  That said, do we have an idea of changes users were trying to make but were not able to make with the current design of the XSDs.

Eric

Eric A. Sirois
Staff Software Developer
DB2 Universal Database - Information Development
DITA XML Schema Architect and DITA Open Toolkit Developer
IBM Canada Ltd. - Toronto Software Lab
Email:
esirois@ca.ibm.com
Phone:(905) 413-2841

Blue Pages (Internal)

"Transparency and accessibility requirements dictate that public information and government
transactions avoid depending on technologies that imply or impose a specific product or
platform on businesses or citizens" -
EU on XML-based office document formats.

Inactive hide details for Eliot Kimber ---07/10/2014 08:55:42 AM---I think I had this action and failed to provide some suggestEliot Kimber ---07/10/2014 08:55:42 AM---I think I had this action and failed to provide some suggested language before I left on vacation.

From: Eliot Kimber <ekimber@contrext.com>
To: Don R Day <donrday@contelligencegroup.com>, <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date: 07/10/2014 08:55 AM
Sent by: <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>

I think I had this action and failed to provide some suggested language
before I left on vacation.

What'd I'd like the spec to say is something like:

DITA's specialization and constraint features depend on the XML Schema
Definition redefine facility. Unfortunately, the redefine facility imposes
restrictions on how XSD groups can be constructed. These restrictions make
it impossible to redefine certain types of content models without first
refactoring those content models into new groups, where each group is then
redefinable. The XSDs for the standard DITA base vocabulary and
specializations reflect the content models as defined in the RELAX NG and
DTD implementations except where the DITA TC has provided constraint
modules that require refactoring of the XSD content model in order to
allow redefinition (the strict task body and machinery industry task body
constraint modules). This means that there are XSD content models that
cannot be constrained as provided by OASIS. In the case where you need to
constrain such a content model you MAY modify the OASIS-provided XSD
module in order to refactor the content model as required by your
constraint. You can do this either by simply modifying the OASIS-provided
XSD module or by extending the RELAX NG-to-XSD generation process to add
your special case. You SHOULD notify the DITA Technical Committee of your
constraint requirement so that the TC can consider adding the required
refactoring to the XSDs as provided by OASIS.

Cheers,

Eliot

—————
Eliot Kimber, Owner