OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

dita message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 12 August 2014 uploaded

Submitter's message
Action Items:
1. Nancy: review 'specialization' and 'constraints' sections of arch spec for organization, clarity
2. Chris and BobT, review sections of spec relating to RNG to see how we can refer to Eliot's RNG generator without leading users to expect official TC/OASIS support or maintenance of the tools.

Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 12 August 2014
Recorded by N. Harrison
link to agenda for this meeting:

regrets: Stan Doherty, Dick Hamilton

Standing Business
Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201408/msg00006.html (22 July, Nancy Harrison)
Proposed by Kris, seconded by Don, approved by TC
Note: 29 July and 5 August meetings were rehearsals for the DITA 1.3 Webinar, so there are no minutes for those meetings.

Subcommittee Reports


1. DITA 1.3 progress
First spec review (Eberlein & Anderson)
Robert is making progress.
Transformation utilities and DITA 1.3 grammar files (Kimber)
[Eliot not on call]

2. Rehash of the DITA 1.3 Webinar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSXYtig9STs (Recording)
Generally, feedback was that the webinar was received very positively; large number of attendees (>300 registered, >230 attendees at highest point), comments on various listservs was very favorable, lots of large
firms represented in the audience. Jane Harnad (OASIS) has sent us the official attendee list
Joann; I have the PDF and recording; will put both up on DITA Adoption site today.
Don; thanks to all the sponsors (OASIS, CIDM/ComTech)
Kris; I've sent out links to the slides/recording to a number of DITA-related discussion/LinkedIn groups, including 'DITA Awareness' and 'SDL LiveContent Architect'. As we mentioned during the webinar, we really want users to contact their vendors and let them know which features they want them to support. Also, [TC member] Tetsuya Sekine wants to translate slide deck and do a Japanese-language Webinar.
Joann; I also started a thread on Linkedin, re: working with your vendors to get features supported.
Kris; we need to get more info out there about upgrading to 1.3; there's a general lack of knowledge of catalog files, and how to handle different versions of declarations.

3. Continued item: Suggested TC position with regard to XSD usage
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201407/msg00003.html (Day, 8 July 2014)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201407/msg00012.html (Kimber, 10 July 2014)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201408/msg00002.html (Hamilton & Day, 4 August 2014)
In what topic should this information be located?
kris; thanks to don, eliot and dick for working on this
Don gave overview; Dick and I looked at Eliot's writeup, and got feedback from others; the feedback was to make it clear why the TC has taken this position. The current statement does make that clear, and now we need to decide what is the appropriate topic to put it in. According to Stan, it's one of those articles that verges on non-normative; perhaps it could go within the topic on usage of RNG.
Kris; this affects both specialization and constraints, the spec is organized under XML grammar ("Configuration, Specialization, and Contraints") by that.
Don; it might go better in specialization section.
Kris; or it might fit in 'XML schema coding requirements for DITA specialization modules'?
Don; you're saying it should not be a separate topic?
Kris; maybe not, though we can link to it from wherever we want.
Chris; i'd rather it was a child topic of that topic.
Kris; we have a lot of really long topics in that area, and some aren't organized well. After the DITA processing section in arch spec is the configuration, specialization and constraints section; this really needs better organization.
Nancy; I'll take a look at it.
tom; is there any place else in the spec where the XSD usage issues might be worth mentioning
Kris; there's a topic (in 1.3 arch spec 1st review, section 3.4.1) called 'Recognized XML-document Grammar Mechanisms' that might be good.
Tom; it should be mentioned there
ActioonItem; Nancy will look at the spec to see what can be done with that content

4. Link in spec to RNG-to-DTD-and-XSD generator/Links to non-normative resources
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201408/msg00010.html (Hamilton, 5 August)
5. How "baked" is the DTD generation tool?
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201408/msg00014.html (Magliery, 11 August 2014)

[combined discussion on above items 4 & 5]
Kris; question came up as to whether we'll have a link in the spec to the generator, and Dick noted that it would need to be non-normative
Robert; I've thought about it a bit, and I'm not sure of the status; i.e., what is the status/owner of the tool. is it OASIS? is it Eliot? Right now, I feel discomfort at sharing it as part of OASIS, since it's really Eliot's, and he's the only one who really understands it. I think it's something we can point to, but I don't want it to rise to the level of 'normative'.
Kris; It absolutely can't be normative, its status shoudl probably be the same as the status of Jarno's DITA doc shell/ plugin generator.
Chris; should there be a link from the non-normative refs topic in the arch spec?
Kris; that might make sense. It just raises the question of 'is this an OASIS tool, or an Eliot tool?'
Chris; does OASIS have a github account?
Kris; OTOH, looking at a topic we approved as part of approving Eliot's RNG proposal, it says 'the TC maintains the generation tools'. We need to revisit that topic. I'd like to ask for someone to be willing to read through this set of topics about using RNG and module description markup for use. We absolutely need a reality check on these topics, so that they'll represent the TC consensus that this is an auxiliary tool, not one that's maintained by the TC or by OASIS.
BobT; I wonder if the discussion might be moot; would OASIS permit even linking to such a tool?
Kris; they permit it, but the tool hasn't gone thru their standards process.
Robert; they've loosened rules, but if it were available, it would be as a zip you download, not something you get an official 'release version' of.
Tom; i might take a look at it, but like the rest, I think it's auxiliary. I think it would be good to talk to Eliot about it.
Chris; I'll also take a look at the RNG topics.
ActionItem: Chris and BobT will look at RelaxNG topics in spec to make sure they don't commit the TC to support it can't provide.

closed at 11:37

-- Nancy Harrison
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 12 August 2014

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Nancy Harrison
Group: OASIS Darwin Information Typing Architecture (DITA) TC
Folder: Meeting Notes
Date submitted: 2014-08-12 10:11:47

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]