Subject: For discussion: hosting/sponsorship of dita.xml.org

The ol' dita.xml.org site is getting a bit long in the tooth, and short on the pizazz. It doesn't have much in the way of sponsorship to pay to update the tech, and in any case the tech it's based on isn't DITA-friendly, which means we're showcasing non-DITA tech on our main DITA community site.

An alternative to consider: getting one of the companies that provide DITA-based web systems to provide and maintain the hosting tech as a non-cash sponsorship that let's them show what DITA can do.

Kris, JoAnn and I talked over the possibility with Carol Geyer, and agreed that it was an interesting idea, with some caveats - we'd need some explicit requirements for the relationship, along the lines of:

1.        XML.org Editorial Guidelines remain in place.
2.        Provider must maintain corporate membership in OASIS.

3.        The OASIS DITA Adoption Committee and OASIS staff are solely responsible for curating content.
4.        Only OASIS is authorized to offer site sponsorship; Provider cannot charge or solicit fees in exchange for visibility on the site.

5.        Provider will receive Focus Area Sponsor benefits in exchange for services.

6.        Provider may publish a description of the implementation on the site and/or issue a press release subject to approval by OASIS staff; however, OASIS cannot be portrayed as endorsing the Provider’s product over others.
7.        OASIS retains copyright on the site content.

I hope we can talk this over in a bit more detail in the call today. I think the status quo at dita.xml.org is pretty nasty, so an alternative that gets us an updated site with actively maintained tech that is based on DITA seems pretty attractive to me.

Michael Priestley, Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
Enterprise Content Technology Strategist
mpriestl@ca.ibm.com
http://dita.xml.org/blog/michael-priestley