Subject: Re: [dita] Fwd: DITA 1.3 "XML mention" question

The change to "xm-" sounds like a good solution.

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 7:21 AM, Eliot Kimber <ekimber@contrext.com> wrote:
Hmm. I'm surprised I didn't remember this aspect of the XML specification.
I'm also surprised that parsers don't report it, but I see that the XML
spec doesn't actually define it as an error. But it's good somebody
noticed it now. (Can I offer the excuse that it was almost 20 years ago
that we published the XML spec and I haven't seen a need to reread it
closely much since then?)

One solution would be to simply remove the "xml" from the names, leaving:

att
element
nsname
pi

However, "att" and "element" in particular are a bit too generic.

I therefore propose adding a prefix, e.g., "xm-" (XML markup) to all the
names to give:

xm-numcharref
xm-parameterentity
xm-textentity
xm-att
xm-element
xm-nsname
xm-pi

The domain short name "xml-d" also has to change, and "xm-d" would match
the proposed prefix. The XML specification only disallows the full string
"xml", it doesn't disallow "xm(not l)".

Cheers,

Eliot

—————