Subject: Re: [dita] FW: XML Spec: Removal of Reservation of "xml" from Names in Errata to 5th Edition

I come back to the thought, though, of "What if we had had that OMG! moment when the TC first reviewed the design for this domain?" Some of the knowledge we have today would not have been available at the time, and I suspect we would have requested that the prefixes be renamed in consideration of the apparent rules of the day.

Had we done so back then, would we today even be considering the option of going back to the now-safe 'xml' prefixes? I'm sort of playing the devil's advocate here. If we lean toward the path of least resistance today (leave things as is), we'll need to at least create a FAQ reciting all the reasons why this is now safe.
  • "Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?
  • Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?"
  • --T.S. Eliot