OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

dita message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 2 September 2014 uploaded

Submitter's message
Action Items:
1. [wrt AI #10 from last week ; Nancy will look at specialization and constraints sections of 1.3 spec)
Kris will build revised draft 1.3 spec in PDF and html formats
2. wrt using '-' rather than '_' for compound terms;
Eliot will make changes in SVG domain code.
Kris will change the 1.3 spec for SVG_container topic, to replace '_' with '-'.
3. Robert will modify the spec related to the 'to-navigation' value for @chunk.
4. Stan will look at front page wiki to check for items we may want to clean up.

Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 2 September 2014
Recorded by N. Harrison
link to agenda for this meeting:

regrets: none

Standing Business
Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201408/msg00064.html (26 August, Nancy Harrison)
Proposed by Kris, seconded by Stan, approved by TC

Subcommittee Reports


1. DITA 1.3 progress
No updates

2. Update on DITA 1.3 Troubleshooting Webinar (Thomas?)
Bob gave an overview; the webinar went well, though Joann's connection went down mid-way through and she will re-record her slides; there were around 40 attendees.
Bob will let us know when the re-recorded version of the webinar is available.

3. Action items from previous meetings
- Shells for L & T: [Robert, Kris, Eliot, and John to meet when John is back from vacation] Kris will schedule a meeting, now that John is ba from vacation.
- dita.xml.org: Don, Kris, Jo!Ann, and Michael met on 27 August.
had a meeting, will contact Carol Geyer when they have a solid plan
Action items from 26 August 2014:
Items 1-5 are done
#6 (Don) not yet
#7 (Eliot) fixed
#8 - 10 still open
ActionItem (wrt #10) Kris will build revised draft 1.3 spec in PDF and html formats

4. New item: Element naming conventions ('svg_container'?)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201409/msg00000.html (Frederik Geers, 2 September 2014)
Fred Geers; do we have a policy for element naming conventions? (noticed the problem with SVG domain). In particular, are we happy with SVG-container name?
Eliot; there are now specific conventions, I tend to be inconsistent between '-' and '_', but try to avoid camelcase
Kris; looking historically, Don and Michael, were there any decisions made early on?
Michael; started out using dashes - with related-links, steps-informal - then Erik Hennum was a strong advocate for camelcase, so we switched to camelcase, so L&T came with camelcase. Then, when he left, we went back to dashes, so historically the only conventions are camelcase (DITA 1.2) and lowercase with '-'
Kris; L&T and glossary are both camelcase, 1.3 stuff is using dashes
Eliot; so the only use of '_' was for SVG, so that argues for changing it.
Kris; and there are only 2 SVG items that have '_'
Eliot; just one domain and one file.
Kris; I think we should make the changes; we should avoid introducing inconsistency.
Kris; let's codify policy
Nancy; shall we do dashes unless we're in a domain that's already camelcase?
Michael; now we have more cc than dashes, so maybe not...
Don; for core elements, it's dashes, camelcase is mostly in domains
Michael; the index domain uses dashes, so it's not that clean.
Don; but are there cases of core that have camelcase?
Kris; depends on what you call core, e.g. subjectScheme is part of base package
Eliot; but there are no elements in 'base' module using camelcase, except ditavalref.
Michael; checking now, there are 6 with dashes, and L&T has 70 w/camelcase.
Here's a possible [though random] rule:
- within the core (no specialization, @class has only one item); use dashes
- in a domain; can use either dashes or camelcase, but only one - don't mix them within a domain.
Kris; what about ditavalref?
Michael; I guess we can have some inconsistency.
Eliot; ditavalref is 1.3, so we can change it
[leave decisions on ditavalref to when Robert's on call]
ActionItem: Kris will contact Frederick with this decision.
Jimt; what about saying that all future domains will be camelcase?
Kris; at this point, we have a number for 1.3 that are using a hyphen; we just want to have clear guidelines.
Don; And we need to leave naming up to the culture of the specialization defining culture.
Eliot will make change in SVG code
Kris will change spec for SVG_container
Leave decisions on ditavalref to when Robert's on call

5. New item: Chunking
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201408/msg00065.html (Anderson, 29 August 2014)
Kris; re Robert's mail suggesting we get rid of the 'to-navigation' value for @chunk. He was wondering if any vendors implement or depend on that value.
Davidh; nothing in PTC uses that, so we have no objection.
Eliot; I've discussed this with Robert; I agree with him.
Kris; are there any implications we need to be aware of?
Eliot; if folks are creating [IBM] infocenters and depending on the default, they might be surprised, but I think there may be no one doing that.
Kris; Michael, what do you think from the IBM POV?
Michael; I defer to robert.
Kris; I move to follow his recommendation
Don, we should include deprecating it now.
Nancy; i agree; we should deprecate it now
Kris; so let's do this
ActionItem; Robert will modify the spec related to the 'to-navigation' value for @chunk.

6. New item: Front page Wiki
What is this page used for?
What should be on this page?
Volunteers to examine links
Kris; qestions for Don, Michael, what's meant to be on the page, or has it just evolved?
Don; is there a maintainer's issue?
Kris; I have no particular concerns, except with things that are really out-of-date, or really edge case, like standardizing output for decorative purposes. will anyone volunteer to look at the links and see if they should be removed? If folks want to discuss this, we could do it today, there are not a lot of agenda items today...
Stan; I'll volunteer to look at it, is there a deadline?
Kris; thx, Stan
Don; the agenda and working docs section are the most useful for meetings, everything else looks like it was inherited from the original OASIS page structure.
Kris; the primary use is for agendas and working documents; Stan will look at links and come back with suggestions on what should stay and what should go.
ActionItem: Stan will look at front page wiki to check for items we may want to clean up.

7. New item: Triage Trello board for "Spec clarifications and improvements"
Dick Hamilton has volunteered to help with this.
https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=53996&wg_abbrev=dita (Spreadsheet of Trello items)
Kris; one update; Deb had come up with a spreadsheet, so that is available

close at 11:45

-- Nancy Harrison
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 2 September 2014

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Nancy Harrison
Group: OASIS Darwin Information Typing Architecture (DITA) TC
Folder: Meeting Notes
Date submitted: 2014-09-08 22:12:48

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]