Subject: 26 Aug TC Action: Note on 'xml' prefix

On 8/28/2014 1:09 PM, Nancy Harrison wrote:
Don will draft a note on our decision to use the 'xml' prefix for our xmlmention domain, to be put into xmlmention topic explaining the issue.
7. XML mention domain revisited
[More research has revealed that the reservation of the 'xml' string is no longer in the XML spec, so we can avoid having to make any changes.]
Kris; so, we were unaware of fact that it was no longer a problem.
Don; in the future, we need to be cautious; we can go ahead with using the 'xml', but we need to explain it, for people who remember the reservation and don't know it's gone away.
Michael; we could include a note and link in the xmlmention topic
Robert; we don't want too much, just a note and/or link in the parent xmlmention topic.
ActionItem; Don will draft the note to be put into topic explaining the issue.

<note>Although the original XML 1.0 Recommendation specifically reserved element names beginning with 'xml' or 'XML' for the use of the XML standard itself, the subsequent introduction of namespaces (for example, xml:base) made the restriction moot and it was removed in the <xref href="" class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="http://www.w3.org/XML/xml-V10-5e-errata">"http://www.w3.org/XML/xml-V10-5e-errata" scope="external" format="html">errata to the 5th edition of the XML 1.0 Recommendation</xref>, which effectively replaces the XML 1.1. The OASIS DITA Technical Committee acknowledges this revised policy in its use of the semantically precise prefix 'xml' for the XML Mention domain.</note>

--
  • "Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?
  • Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?"