Subject: Re: [dita] Issues in DTDs checked into SVN

Hi Kris,

I actually didn't get anywhere at all with a manual comparison. For some reason I was under the impression that the tool had generated exact copies of 1.2, but when I tried to do a file diff, it was too difficult due to all the changes (in spacing, in order of entity declarations, and with all the extra attribute entities). FWIW we had a lot of spacing changes from DITA 1.1 to 1.2, so the surprise was mostly that I couldn't diff actual 1.2 with (what I thought was) 1.2 in SVN.

I ended up resurrecting my dreaded testing tools from the 1.2 process. It creates a relatively well formatted XML version of the DTD: alpha-sorted elements with content models and attribute lists/values. It also lists all declared entities. I ran that tool on the shipped copy of DITA 1.2, and then again on the copy of 1.2 in SVN, and compared the results. That comparison resulted in the full list below.

FWIW this method also highlighted that the 1.2 doctypes in SVN declare <tasktroubleshooting> as a child of taskbody in the task constraint module; I didn't mention that earlier because it is not a problem for 1.3, but this would be a problem for anybody that thought they could get DITA 1.2 from SVN.

Robert D Anderson
IBM Authoring Tools Development
Chief Architect, DITA Open Toolkit (http://dita-ot.sourceforge.net/)

Inactive hide details for Kristen James Eberlein ---10/20/2014 10:32:04---OK, we'll have this as an agenda item for tomorrow's Kristen James Eberlein ---10/20/2014 10:32:04---OK, we'll have this as an agenda item for tomorrow's TC call.  Eliot, it sounds as if the TC needs t

From: Kristen James Eberlein <kris@eberleinconsulting.com>
To: dita@lists.oasis-open.org
Date: 10/20/2014 10:32
Sent by: <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>

OK, we'll have this as an agenda item for tomorrow's TC call.

Eliot, it sounds as if the TC needs to know more about your test processes, and that perhaps we need to have TC members do manual comparisons of the official 1.2 DTD files and the 1.2 DTD files in SVN that I assume you generated from the RNG. Robert, how far did you get with your manual comparison?

We might also need to consider a date by which we freeze the generation of DTD from RNG, and handle everything manually after that point.

We need to have packages publicly available so that we can gather statement of use ...

www.eberleinconsulting.com
+1 919 682-2290; kriseberlein (skype)