Subject: Entity definition comparison between legacy 1.2 DTDs and RNG-sourced 1.2 DTDs.

Hi,

I extracted all of the entity definitions from the legacy 1.2 DTDs downloaded from OASIS and then from the 1.2 DTDs in SVN that were generated from the 1.2 RNGs. I then did a side-by-side comparison. There were very few problems. Most of the issues listed in the table have to do with name mismatches, and they can probably be ignored (see note 2).

Notes

  1. When I say that a parameter entity needs to be wrapped, I mean that it should be wrapped with parenthesis. For example: %month; becomes (%month;)
  2. Some parameter entities have been renamed. In each case, the parameter entity is only used to integrate other components into the file where the parameter entity has been defined. Moreover, these parameter entities are only referred to from within the same files. I believe that it is safe to assume that no one who is following the rules for specialization will be referring to these parameter entities from outside of the files where they are defined. Therefore, it would be safe to leave the new names alone. Nonetheless, I have noted them in the specific findings even though I don’t recommend changing them back to their legacy names.
  3. The old 1.2 DTDs (legacy) all use PUBLIC identifiers to call in DTD components. The new 1.2 DTDs all use SYSTEM identifiers to do this. This would be an issue if somebody wished to re-distribute the DTDs using a different directory structure.

Specific findings

File

Entity

Issue

base/dtd/tblDecl.mod

bodyatt

Definition is missing

table.attributes

%bodyatt; is missing

tblDecl-def

Legacy name is tableXML

base/dtd/map.mod

included-domains

&included-domains; is invoked without being defined. In the legacy map.mod, included-domains was defined in the DOMAINS ATTRIBUTE OVERRIDE section, which is missing in the new map.mod.

commonElements-def

Invocation occurs in a different place in the module. Legacy name is commonElements

metaDecl-def

Invocation occurs in a different place in the module. Legacy name is metaXML

[Not Applicable]

Missing section headings for COMMON ATTLIST SETS, MODULES CALLS, and DOMAINS ATTRIBUTE OVERRIDE

bookmap/dtd/bookmap.mod

completed.content

AND

started.content