Subject: Re: [dita] Review #2 comments: DITAVAL elements

I agree with Robert: I don't think the requirement has any particular
value.

I can see the utility, as a processor-supplied option, of reporting values
that don't have explicit actions, if you're concerned about overlooked
conditions, but I would see that as a debugging utility you'd turn on
occasionally, not something processors should be expected to do all the
time. Nothing in the spec precludes processors from reporting any
information they want during processing. But there's no need to require it
in this case.

Personally, I find the messages the OT puts out both annoying (because I
know that I intentionally didn't set actions for those values by taking
advantage of the ability to set the default action) and, even though they
are flagged as informational, I still initially read them as warnings or
errors and I'm sure many other users do too.

—————
Eliot Kimber, Owner
Contrext, LLC
http://contrext.com