Subject: Re: [dita] Review #2 comments: DITAVAL elements

The impact of the uncorrected condition seems to be simply that the rule never finds a matching trigger condition. The IMPLIED default value certainly allows such coding, and it's still a valid rule that has an expected result--it won't trigger. The editor or the CMS could QA check this condition just as well as a processor. I'd leave the note heading, but a possible rewrite of the content might be:

Note that any prop with an empty or missing or undefined value of the action attribute may fail to trigger any expected conditional processing for that prop. In fact, misnaming an @att or @action value is a valid way of "commenting out" the contribution of a prop at an author's prerogative. A preferred order of bringing informational attention to this case in a workflow might be: 1) in the editor's file save exit code; 2) in the CMS check-in code; 3) in the processor's ditaval loading code (least efficient).

I initially used "rule" instead of "prop" because the issue is more clearly understood in how rules engines work, but the spec does not use that term,  so "prop" it is for now.

  • "Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?
  • Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?"
  • --T.S. Eliot