Subject: Re: [dita] Resolution on unresolvable key maps

Hi,

I just want to clarify one item from #2:
> 2. A key reference for which no definition is available MUST always issue
> an error.

I think I heard on the call that this was limited to key references where there is no @href for fallback linking - is that the case? Otherwise it seems that using that @href fallback is literally an error condition, where processors must use that @href to handle the error.

I thought from the distant past that this case was legal, and not defining the key simply removed the link. But it sounds like maybe it's an error condition, resolved by removing the link?
<link keyref="unresolved"/>

Similarly, in the more common case, I did not think this was a situation where we MUST generate an error, though many want some note of it:
<link keyref="undefined" href="" uri..."/>

Robert D Anderson
IBM Authoring Tools Development
Chief Architect, DITA Open Toolkit (http://www.dita-ot.org/)