Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 6 Januarty 2015 uploaded

Submitter's message
Action Items:
1. All TC members; review conref and constraints sections for 1.3 spec.
2. Tom; do Trello cards for review #2 comments
3. Robert; remove XML data type from attribute tables
4. Kris; send out reminders on using DITAWeb
5. Robert, Eliot; will discuss 'branch filtering: ditavalref as child of map' off-list.

Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 6 January 2015
Recorded by Nancy Harrison
link to agenda for this meeting:
https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/PreviousAgendas

Regrets:

Standing Business
=================
Approve minutes from previous business meetings:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201501/msg00004.html (9 December, Nancy Harrison)
Proposed by Kris, seconded by Joann, approved by TC
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201412/msg00081.html (16 December, Dick Hamilton)
Proposed by Kris, seconded by Scott, approved by TC

Subcommittee Reports
none scheduled till Feb. (except possibly Michael on Lightweight DITA:

Announcements
New members:
Joe Storbeck, JANA Inc.
Birgit Strackenbrock, individual member from the Netherlands (xstructuring.eu)

Business
========
1. Action items
- Action items from 2 December 2014:
Eliot: Move RNG-to-DTD-XSD generator code to GitHub (on hold)
- Action items from 9 December 2013
Tom: Trello cards for review #2 comments
'gonna get started on that today'
- Action items from 16 December 2014:
Don: Schedule meeting to talk about dita.xml.org
'expects to get in contact with interested parties by end of this week;
Bob: Review spec draft and make recommendations about language re weak and strong constraints [on hold till later in agenda]
Eliot: Send e-mail to the list about resolution to "Unresolvable key maps"
'forgot about that'
Kris; if you and Chris can do that, that would be great...
Eliot; will get it taken care of today.

2. Meeting with Jean-Jacques Thomasson (Eberlein)
He's on-board and pleased with the idea of a translator.
Two volunteers, Jean-Francois A. from Ixiasoft, and another from a translation vendor, are willing to act as translators
Volunteer for coordinating this meeting?
kris will offer her webex acct.

3. New item: Interesting news: GitHub, indexing the DITA spec and more
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201412/msg00113.html (Eberlein, 19 December 2014)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201412/msg00114.html (Chet Ensign, 19 December 2014)
Implications: Suggest that we put 'closing the SIDSC' on hold, since it would be better to have a public place to store SIDSC artifacts (e.g. 'Register' topic specialization) before we shut down the SIDSC, which would make the OASIS-based artifacts inaccessible. Also, would expect to move Eliot's tool to GitHub
Kris; 1. OASIS will be making github available to TCs, as alternative to SVN
2. they want to roll out program where TCs that want to have connections with open-source groups can do that; some TCs are already doing this.
This would potentially be a way to handle both RNG-XSD transforms and SIDSC work products. At this point, what does TC think about this?
Scott; Lightweight DITA also looking for place to store stuff, so this might be useful.
Kris; we want to distinguish between storing real TC work products and 'offline' stuff
Eliot; very much in favor of this.
Kris; if this had been available in 2005, we would probably have put the DITA-OT into github. so we'll put off closing the SIDSC until after this is resolved, so we can have a place to put work product.

4. New item: XML Data type in spec: keep or remove?
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201412/msg00089.html (Anderson, 16 December 2014)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201412/msg00091.html (Anderson, 16 December 2014 -- Clarification on earlier post)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201412/msg00093.html (Magliery, 16 December 2014)
Kris; this relates to wording in attribute definitions.
Robert; from dita 1.0 - 1.2, the spec includes the @attribute tables [that everyone hates], which include a column for 'XML data types'. But do we really need to keep that? I kept it there, but I agree that it isn't needed.
Kris; anyone speak in favor of keeping it? or shall we remove it?
No objections from TC to remove it; Robert will do so.

5. 2nd spec review progress: 13 October - 1 November 2014
REVIEW CLOSED 1 November 2014
https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/1.3-spec-review-#preview
Update from Kris and Robert:
All comments discussed and given a disposition [done]
Eberlein: All changes to source topics completed [done]
Anderson: Expects changes to be done by end of week; don't think any will result in emails to list, but possible.

6. Schedule for targeted reviews: January - February 2015
Hyperlinks lead to a ZIP file that contains PDF and CHM versions of the topic cluster
Jan 06-12: Conref (8 pages); Constraints (19 pages)
Jan 13-19: Direct addressing
Jan 20-26: DITA linking
Jan 27 - Feb 2: Keys
Feb 03-09: Conditional processing
Feb 10-16: Branch filtering
Feb 17-23: Keys revisited
Kris; Robert and I have tried to avoid overlapping content, and to make review content in managable sections.
Robert; the main thing is; a lot of thee sections have not gotten review from most TC members, partly because they were too technical, but we've tried to fix that; everyone please, please review them.
Kris; we're asking all the TC to look at all the sections; the ones that got the most significant changes were all under the 'Processing' section of spec, so a lot of it is by its nature technical, but we've really tried to improve the organization. We have a wiki page for the targeted reviews, on wiki higher up in DITA TC Front Page. Some have draft-comments, which we want to resolve; we also want to make sure we've using normative language correctly.
Joann; in terms of logistics. how do you want us to do this?
Kris; there are zip files with both .chm and .html versions; one for conref, one for constrainsts. Look at the contentit in tone of those formats, then enter comments in DITAWeb.
Joann; how about instructions for using DITAWeb?
Kris; if you go to today's agenda, I'll put a link to DITAWeb info into the agenda item to help you remember how to use DITAWeb. From the agenda, go to 'helpful links; one is for 1.3 spec reviews; that also has a 'helpful links' section, includes tips on using DITAWeb; will post that again.
Stan; I'd find that helpful.
Kris; I'll send out reminders; let me know if you have problems. Any more questions?
Note: volunteers for reviewing constraints were Nancy, Dick, Eliot, Joann (or someone from her team), Bob Thomas. Also EricS (for XSD part)?

7. New item: DTD and XSD Generation Testing Assistance
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201411/msg00061.html (Kimber, 6 November 2014)
Kris gave overview; generation is working, but Eliot could use help testing additional examples.
Eliot; the thing I need the most is to extend valid test documents; currently, I'm using just a smoke test; I generate a miminal document, but is no sense in which they're comprehensive document models, so, e.g. I don't have test tasks that have both cmd and info elements. I don't really need more documents; I have one doc per map/topic types, or mutually exclusive items. But within each document, we want to have a lot more, and more varied, content.
Kris; so you looking for people to submit some content for valid docs, as well as some content for invalid docs.
Eliot; right, the invalid docs are smaller and sparser; it would be nice to have some invalid code, to test places in the spec that say something is invalid. We also need to test challenges of specialization, so we need docs where things are [correctly] disallowed in a specialization that aren't allowed in base types.
Kris; at this point, are there particular topic/map types you could use?
Eliot; I could particularly use example content from L&T, bookmap, task, new troubleshooting stuff (though I created a bunch for that).
Kris; Is there anyone in particular that you'd like stuff from?
Eliot; just put it out there...
Kris; for anyone on call; please contribute if you can...
(but, btw, review is way more important than this...)
Scott; can you send a link to the files?
Kris; if you click the above email link, it contains info about running his tests; if that's not enough, let Kris and Eliot know and they'll put a better link in the wiki.

8. Review #2 comments:
- New item: Branch filtering: ditavalref as child of map
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201412/msg00028.html (Anderson, 8 December 2014)
Robert; for all other examples of branch filtering, when you use multiple ditavalref elements in a branch, you can get a markup equivalent using a verbsoe way of doing it. when you have 2-4 ditavalref as children of a map, you can't do that. Question is, is that action legal, and how do you do it? How do we demonstrate that this is legal?
Kris; you mean with reltables?
Robert; right, so have we created multiple copies of map where each reltable goes in one branch?
Kris; did we ever talk about this in 1.3 discussions?
Eliot; nope.
Robert; no, we never brought up reltable.
Eliot; for each cell in reltable, you'd duplicate ditavalrefs
Robert; messy, but might be right...
Eliot; You could represent it as creating a higher level map that processes the original map once for each ditavalref. The map gets duplicated once for each ditavalref; but how do we express that in an example?
Kris; But people use reltables all kind of different ways. if people are managing reltables at a publication level, then what?
Robert; if you do that, you can't really use Eliot's suggestion.
Kris; is it possible that we don't want ditavalref to apply to reltable?
Robert; applying ditavalref at the mapref level is better, and we want links to remain within appropriate branch. We really need to take care with reltables and cases where you're trying to link to different branches.
Kris; do we need to call it out?
Robert; It seems like that would be more suited to a white paper, but 1.3 white papers won't be coming out for awhile, probably not until after folks have already run up against this issue.
Kris; so how do we bring it to folks attentions?
Robert; we could put a reltable example in the spec, with some guidance; that a bit non-normative, but I think it's the best way to handle it.
Kris; anyone else? anyone need more clarity?
Nancy; I could use a bit more...
Kris; Robert, can you follow this up with a summary, to be logged in Trello, describing the implications of a map with multiple ditavalref elements at root level. The basic point is that it works fine for a map that just contains topicref elements; but it's less clear what it means if your map contains reltables.
Eliot; It also has to say something about map-level metadata.
Kris, Robert, Eliot will dicuss this off-list.
ActionItem; Robert, Eliot will discuss this off-list.

meeting closed at 12:01

-- Nancy Harrison
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 6 Januarty 2015

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Nancy Harrison