Subject: Error in 1.2 / 1.3 key processing topic for link text

In DITA 1.2 and in the latest draft of DITA 1.3, we have text that explains how to pull text into an empty, non-linking element that uses @keyref. For example,
<keyword keyref="prodname"/> or <term keyref="widget"/>

The text has been cleaned up but the meaning is the same:

I see the following options for cleaning up the language:
  1. Remove <term> from the language and examples. It can't break anything (term was never valid), just cleans up language.
  2. Change the text to read "<keyword> or <indexterm>". I don't think this matches the original intent and may give different key resolution results in DITA 1.2 processors vs DITA 1.3 processors.
  3. Add <term> as a child of <keywords> - suddenly the text is correct. I consider this a no-go, it's too late to modify content models, just including for completeness.

Clearly, I favor option #1 as the easiest / only non-disruptive change, but I need TC signoff before making the update.

Thanks,

Robert D Anderson
IBM Authoring Tools Development
Chief Architect, DITA Open Toolkit (http://www.dita-ot.org/)