Subject: Re: [dita] Problems with the "figure" under <val> in the Language Specification

Thank you Robert. I'm clear on this now.

Best Regards,
Bob

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 8:44 AM, Robert D Anderson <robander@us.ibm.com> wrote:

Hi Bob,

The difference here (and this is new with the grouping syntax) is that each group on its own is treated the same as an attribute. So the AND behavior that traditionally applies between attributes also applies between attributes within a group.

The reasoning is really the same as the original reasoning for AND between attributes. In the original case, if I have something that applies to 2 products and 4 audiences, then when I exclude those 2 products entirely, the information is useless (regardless of audience).

With groups, we have different categories of products that are really as different as the older product/audience distinction. (In our beta usage, we can think of it as two top-level branches of the product taxonomy). In the sample below, the content in question applies to databases that run on servers. Therefore, the content is specific to database "newDB", when running on server "mySERVER". If I've filtered out the database portion, then this content is meaningless - it doesn't matter how many servers are still valid if I'm not working with the database in question.

In a perfect world, these would both be specialized attributes - specialized directly from product. However, @product is not and cannot be specialized, in order to retain backwards compatibility with DITA 1.0 through 1.2. One reason that this syntax matches the generalized attribute syntax is so that in DITA 2.0, there's at least a decent chance that @product will become a specialized attribute, in which case these suddenly become generalized attributes. One could (at that point) clean up the content by moving these from this:

to this, which still keeps the connection to @product through specialization:

Does that help?

Robert D Anderson
IBM Authoring Tools Development
Chief Architect, DITA Open Toolkit (http://www.dita-ot.org/)

Inactive hide details for Bob Thomas ---01/24/2015 14:44:31---While participating the conditional processing targeted review, IBob Thomas ---01/24/2015 14:44:31---While participating the conditional processing targeted review, I went to the <val> element in the l