Subject: Re: [dita] Purpose of spec (was "Re: [dita] The whatever-we-call-it factor")

Hi Kris,
I don’t think I agree with you. The way we explain something to DITA users at lots of levels gives us valuable insight into what really communicates the concepts. In working to make the spec really communicate, it’s useful to know how various people explain what is happening. If the spec isn’t communicating what people need to understand, it’s obviously not working.

We cannot make the commentary in the spec so “obscure” that we lose sight of the goal—successful implementations. Given that many of the implementations are not successful and do not in fact perform as the spec intended suggests that we haven’t met our goals.

Thanks for everyone weighing in on this. So much of the spec is really difficult to understand.

JoAnn

JoAnn T. Hackos, PhD
President
Comtech Services Inc.
710 Kipling Street, Suite 400
Denver, CO 80215
Joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com
303-232-7586

Comtech Logo 2005 small

CIDM will be hosting the Content Management Strategies/DITA North America 2015 conference in Chicago, Illinois April 20-22, 2015. More information at:

http://www.cm-strategies.com/2015/index.htm