Subject: RE: [dita] MathML entities issue in DITA 1.3

Hi Robert,

Well, if that is the right way to use MathML with DITA, then shouldn’t we remove the MathML markup from DITA (effectively removing inline MathML support). And provide only <mathmlref>.

Regards,

Tarun Garg

Computer Scientist, Adobe Systems Inc.

From: Robert D Anderson [mailto:robander@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 12, 2015 6:23 PM
To: Tarun Garg
Cc: dita@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi Tarun,

That is intentional. The problem with adding those entities in a DTD is that they cannot be confined to the MathML markup. So, if we include them in the Math markup, which is included in DITA, all of those entities become available in any DITA topic, anywhere. A lot of my customers noticed that when we tried an early beta of the math markup, and it didn't go over well (particularly among those who didn't actually use the Math markup).

The best way to get around this is probably to store your MathML documents independently of the DITA markup, and reference them with the <mathmlref> element. For example, the DITA markup could be this:
<fig>
<title>My equation will appear here</title>

When the math file is stored externally, it can (and should) use the original MathML DTD, which includes the full range of entities. Processors should import this math content and treat it as they would any math markup directly within the topic. Entities will be understood based on the definitions in the original DTD.

Robert D Anderson
IBM Authoring Tools Development
Chief Architect, DITA Open Toolkit (http://www.dita-ot.org/)

Inactive hide details for Tarun Garg ---03/12/2015 06:25:37---I was looking at the MathML DTD fileset in the DITA 1.3 DTDs. In Tarun Garg ---03/12/2015 06:25:37---I was looking at the MathML DTD fileset in the DITA 1.3 DTDs. In the file "mathml3-ditadriver.dtd",