Subject: Re: [dita] Definition of "root map"

I'm not sure how to address it in normative language, but somewhere we
have to make it clear that all key-related processing is defined
explicitly in terms of processing a single root map to produce a single
set of key spaces rooted at that one map, if that's not already made clear
in the normative discussion of keys.

In the case of a map tree with no key scopes this means that there is an
exact one-to-one correspondence between a root map and the resulting key
space.

In particular, a processor cannot process multiple root maps and produce a
*single* key space from them: each root map must result in a separate key
space rooted at that map.

Or said another way: the identity of a given key space is established by
the root map and fully-qualified key scope name of that key space (where
the root key space has a null scope name [the anonymous scope]).

With DITA 1.2 this was pretty clear I think. With DITA 1.3 and the
introduction of key scopes, which produce multiple key spaces from a
*single* map, implementors might think that they are licensed to produce a
single set of related key spaces from multiple input maps. But they are
not.

There are also implications about the processing of map-level metadata
that apply only to root maps and not sub maps.

For example, say a processor wanted to enable producing a single PDF file
from multiple root maps processed together. There's nothing preventing a
processor from doing that, but it will still be the case that each root
map produces its own set of key spaces and normal cross-deliverable
linking would need to be used for key references that go between root
maps--the processor is not allowed to treat all the maps *as though* there
was a single root map that included them all as submaps.

Cheers,

Eliot
—————
Eliot Kimber, Owner