Subject: Fwd: [dita] Cascading of <source> and <othermeta> in maps

I meant to sent this to the list instead of to just Don. Sorry for the redundant message Don.
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Bob Thomas <bob.thomas@tagsmiths.com>
Date: Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 10:38 AM
Subject: Re: [dita] Cascading of <source> and <othermeta> in maps
To: "Don R. Day" <donday@donrday.com>

Like Don, I have no desire to change the “cascade” terminology in the 1.3 specification at this point. But, his observations are thought provoking and make for interesting discussion.

I agree that the term “cascade” is processing oriented. What’s really needed is a term for the opposite direction of “inheritance”. The closest term I can think of is “extent”.

I consider inheritance to be an intrinsic characteristic of elements that have been derived from other elements. Similarly, I consider extent to be an intrinsic characteristic of those elements that have been flagged as “yes” in the “Does it cascade” column. The value associated with such an element is immutably bound to that element, even though the property that it establishes within the information set is mutable through override by a like-named element further down the map tree.

Best Regards,

Bob