Subject: Extending subject schemes

Robert and I are trying to work the items that are in draft comments in the 1.3 spec. We need help from the TC on the following draft comment (enclosed in a table below) in the "Extending subject schemes" topic:

Extending subject schemes
The <schemeref> element provides a mechanism for extending a subject scheme. This makes it possible to add
new relationships to existing subjects and extend enumerations of controlled values.

The <schemeref> element provides a reference to another subject scheme map. Typically, the referenced subject-scheme
map defines a base set of controlled values that are extended by the current subject-scheme map. The
values in the referenced subject-scheme map are merged with the values in the current subject-scheme map; the
result is equivalent to specifying all of the values in a single subject scheme map.

Comment by Kristen Eberlein on 5 February 2015
I added this topic to address comments made by Chris Nitchie in the targeted review. FYI, the paragraph above
was in the DITA 1.2 Language Reference topic about <schemeref>.

Re Example: Extending a subject scheme, Chris stated "That's not how keyref normally works. We
definitely need normative language describing the expected processing of keyref in the context of a subject
scheme. It's completely different from normal keyref behavior. Normally, a keyref is a reference to the content
referenced by the key-defining topicref, not a reference to the topicref itself. And there's no transclusion or
extension, as is implied here. So it's completely different processing rules for keys in a subject scheme, and it
needs normative description."

Re Example: Extending a subject scheme upwards, Chris stated " ... the use of keyref in subject schemes
to recombine subject definitions is never covered anywhere."

I suspect that we need additional normative content in this topic ...

For the two referenced example topics, see the following:

Example: Extending a subject scheme
https://td-demo.titaniasoftware.com/portals/ui/sample/viewer/5519e16ce4b016f565df9582/5519e185e4b016f565df9959/r/example-subjectScheme-extension
Example: Extending a subject scheme upwards
https://td-demo.titaniasoftware.com/portals/ui/sample/viewer/5519e16ce4b016f565df9582/5519e185e4b016f565df9959/r/example-subjectScheme-extension-upwards.dita

We either need to add normative content, or consider removing the example topics (which were present in 1.2). I don't know whether anyone is using this aspect of subjectScheme ...

www.eberleinconsulting.com
+1 919 682-2290; kriseberlein (skype)