Subject: Re: [dita] Question from keys review: addressing non-topicref elements in a map

That makes sense for cases where the key resolves to a map, but what if it resolves to a topicref?

<topicref keys="chapter1" id="confused">...it's a point in the TOC...</topicref>

Currently you can reference that with:
keyref="chapter1"
href="">
If we remove the "non-topicref" elements, it would then state that 'for references to elements within maps, the value of @keyref is a key name plus slash plus element ID', which I think is incorrect here -- because you just use the key name to reference this topicref.

Also, what would it mean if I encountered this, where chapter1 resolves to a topicref?
keyref="chapter1/otherID"

It makes me think that if we do allow the key/ID syntax for maps, then we have to explicitly say "for keys that resolve to a map document" or whatever wording best conveys that idea.

Robert D Anderson
IBM Authoring Tools Development
Chief Architect, DITA Open Toolkit (http://www.dita-ot.org/)

Inactive hide details for Chris Nitchie ---05/07/2015 11:33:18---I'd settle for removing the word 'non-topicref' so that it reaChris Nitchie ---05/07/2015 11:33:18---I'd settle for removing the word 'non-topicref' so that it reads, "and elements within maps." If you

From: Chris Nitchie <chris.nitchie@oberontech.com>
To: Robert D Anderson/Rochester/IBM@IBMUS, DITA TC <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date: 05/07/2015 11:33
Sent by: <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>

I'd settle for removing the word 'non-topicref' so that it reads, "and elements within maps." If you bind a map to a key

<mapref href="" keys="mapKey"/>

Then to reference any element in that map via key, keyref="mapKey/elementId". For example:

<topicref conkeyref="mapKey/topicrefId"/>

-or-

<navtitle conkeyref="mapKey/someTitle"/>

You'd use conkeyref instead of keyref on the former to pull in the whole branch, as opposed to referencing whatever content is referenced by that topicref. I don't think you could use conkeyref="someRandomKey" to effectively conref the key-defining topicref.

Chris

P.S. I'm on vacation this week and only checking e-mail occasionally, but I wanted to contribute my $0.02 while my thoughts were fresh.