OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

dita message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 2 June 2015 uploaded

Submitter's message
1. Bob will figure out what needs to happpen to build 1.3 spec for nenaming purposes
2. Tom & Nancy will meet to discuss files packaging
3. Kris and Robert will read 'DITA elements in strange places' article and review it

Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 2 June 2015
Recorded by Nancy Harrison
link to agenda for this meeting:

Regrets: Chris Nitchie; Dick Hamilton

Standing Business
Approve minutes from previous business meetings:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201505/msg00219.html (Nancy Harrison, 26 May 2015)
Proposed by Kris, seconded by Bob, approved by TC

Subcommittee Reports
Kris; we'll try to get a Lightweight DITA report in June


1. Action items
- Action items from 14 April 2015
Kris: Talk to Mark Myers about peer maps and new learning maps (Completed)
- Action items from 28 April 2015
Robert: Clarify with OASIS what needs to be in comments for the XML grammar files
Robert; still working on that
Kris; I need to raise the priority on this
- Action items from 5 May 2015
Kris: Soften wording in spec about subjectScheme and ontology management (Completed)
Kris: Contact Suite Solutions and Nokia/Microsoft about whether they are using extension feature of subjectScheme (Completed)
Kris: Review 1.2 spec to ensure that normative content does not mention extension feature (Completed)
- Action items from 12 May 2015
Eliot: Update grammar files to include sections for domain and structural constraints
Eliot; haven't had a chance to work on that yet
Kris: Add item to DITA 2.0 list about combining and cascading metadata (Completed)
- Action items from 19 May 2015
Kris: Work with Chris, Eliot, and Robert to develop wording re key scopes within subjectScheme
Kris; will try to get that done in next week or two
- Action items from 26 May 2015
Bob: Upload updated output (Completed)
Tom and Scott: Comment on output (Completed by Scott)
Everyone: Participate on "Configuration, specialization, generalization" review (Completed by Chris Nitchie and Bob Thomas)

2. Targeted reviews progress: January - May 2015
- Schedule for targeted reviews:
27 May - 1 June 2015: Configuration, specialization, and generalization (16 pages)
2-7 June: Direct addressing (4 pages)
2-7 June: Non-normative appendix (16 pages not including reference tables)
8-15 June: Coding requirements
8-15 June: Conformance and linking topic
Kris; still light on configuration, specialization, generalization review
[Scott, Tom, Eliot, and Eric will review today.]
Kris; we're opening reviews for direct addressing (4 pp) and non-normative appendix (16 pp) (separate zips). We're looking for reviews for everything by end of this month, including the new topic by Chris.
Keith; talking about non-normative pages, do we have leeway to be more loose, non-technical in our descriptions in those?
Kris; not really, our audience is implementors, not adopters.
Robert; bte, some stuff that was scattered around the rest of spec has been moved into non-normative appendix.

3. Style sheets and transformations (Bob Thomas)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201505/msg00210.html (Sample CHM, uploaded by Bob Thomas, 29 May 2015)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201505/msg00211.html (Sample XHTML, uploaded by Bob Thomas, 29 May 2015)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201505/msg00209.html (Sample PDF, uploaded by Bob Thomas, 29 May 2015)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201505/msg00212.html (Feedback from Scott Hudson on PDF, 29 May 2015)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201505/msg00217.html (Feedback from Kris Eberlein on PDF, 30 May 2015)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201506/msg00012.html (3rd PDF, uploaded by Bob Thomas, 2 June 2015)
Bob; HTML and CHM transforms are done, and PDF is now done as well, unless someone discovers something. In the PDF, I fixed up lists, also fixed issues with xrefs to dlentries and footnotes.
Kris; one issue is filename data that needs to be in it (and you're waiting for info from others to resolve that), but at this point, are you looking for review?
Bob, not really; just look thru samples and let me know if you see anything ugly

4. File names for OASIS output
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201505/msg00030.html (Ensign, forwarded by Eberlein, 5 May 2015)
5. Packages for DITA 1.3 (Harrison and Magliery)
[above 2 items are related.]
Kris; Robert and Bob, you'll be doing the renaming in our build scripts
Robert; I defer to Bob, since he's been doing the heavy lifting so far
Kris; Bob, should we wait till we can combine it with info from nancy/tom
Robert; I don't know why we should wait on the scripting; we'll need something that renames TOC page, and that will be informed by what they do, but we need to set up the variable to do it, even if we don't know the exact names yet.
Kris; Bob, let's you and I meet Thurs to discuss this. Tome and
Tom, good today/tomorrow
Nancy, good tomorrow,
Kris; good thurs/fri
ActionItem: Bob will figure out what needs to happpen to build for nenaming purposes
ActionItem: Tom & Nancy will meet to discuss files packaging

6. Continuing item: Extending subject schemes
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201504/msg00179.html (Eberlein, 28 April 2015)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201506/msg00016.html (Eberlein, 2 June 2015)
Kris; I've tried to do something, but think we need to leave it alone; tried to contact Microsoft, who I believe have done this, but they're on vacation
Robert; I concur; we should leave it alone.

7. Continued item: Statements of use for DITA 1.3
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201410/msg00114.html (Eberlein, 20 October 2014)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201410/msg00205.html (Eberlein, 30 October 2014)
Contains further info from OASIS about format for statements of use, text of conformance statement
Eliot: Clients use learning2, MathML, and XML mention domain
Eberlein: Clients use XML mention & updated highlighting domain; DITAVALref
Troubleshooting topic: In use by Avaya, GE, and Skyward
Troubleshooting topic: Planned to be used by Ericsson and various Japanese companies
Kris; this is part of the reqs for OASIS processs; we need 3 statements of use for 1.3 before we can submit for candidacy. I don't remember if that's before public review. but we need to get those pretty quickly.
One has to come from an OASIS member, either company or indiv. Chet gave us some minimal language to use.
Tom; do we have to have a draft out there to be conformant to? it seems circular...
Soctt; it has to make it to a specific approved committee spec. have we published a version?
Kris; we have to have released a version, so we have to solicit SOU during first OASIS review. The first draft will be committee draft #1, will go to review, then an approved Candidate Stantard. Before we can approve candidate standard we need 3 SOUs. Are there additions to the list on wiki who are using 1.3, Scott/Comtech is on there.
Tom; is there a minimum for how much they're using it?
Eliot, you only have to use one feature to be a DITA user
Tom; but it has to be a new 1.3 features
Don; we really need for them to be using more than one feature.
Kris; Bob, can you do an SOU for clients using troubleshooting?
Bob; yes.
Kris; we can issue SOUs as OASIS members, or clients can do it directly.
It's a good time to talk to folks about what's being used; e.g. Oxygen, Oberon/Titania. We only need 3, but it doesn't hurt to hhave more, and to have some from non-TC members.
Don; during Rick's DITA 'orientation', I'll ask about dita 1.3 plans.

8. Continuing item: Suggestions for full package name
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201504/msg00090.html (Magliery, 14 April 2015)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201504/msg00094.html (Eberlein, 14 April 2015)
[on hold till report from ton and nancy]

9. Review #2 comments: All on hold
Continued item: Subject scheme (on hold until after targeted review of subject scheme material & action items)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201411/msg00078.html (Eberlein, 28 November 2014)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201412/msg00025.html (Nitchie, 8 December 2014)
LATEST: https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201501/msg00069.html (Kimber, 20 January 2015)

10. Continued item: RFC-2119 terminology
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201412/msg00075.html (Eberlein, 16 December 2014)
How can we have people assess topics that use the RFC-2119 terminology? Shall we look at topics that contain more than a certain number of such references?
Kris; do we need to have any work on this?
Robert; I don't think so; people have been reviewing it and hopefully we have putting in the right amount of normative language in the 1.3 spec.

11. Trello items: Spec clarification and improvements
Kris; Robert and I will look at this ans see if it's completed.

12. New item: Article for "DITA elements in strange places" action
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201411/msg00039.html (Day, 4 November 2014
ActionItem: Kris and Robert will read this and review it
Don; did last week's discussion of the draft comment review particular wording?

13. On-going items: DITA 1.3
Lessons learned re proposal and review processes
What worked well?
What didn't work?
How can we improve the process in the future?
Normative terminology
Stan; if 2.0 is radically different from 1.3, how relevant to it are 1.3 issues? It's a gap; we have no clue on what 2.0 will be, I feel a little wierd going into approval process with no idea of what's coming next.
Robert; that's the same as always; I have some thoughts about 2.0 floating in my head, more about process than content. most of changes will be driven by what's happened in 1.x.
Eliot; also a question of how big a break should 2.0 break; ground up re-do, or just changes that aren't backward compatible.
Kris; we need to break back-compat. fixing bad design choices, or to fix long-standing problems, but we don't want to break things for sake of breaking things. Let's mimimize pain in migrating
Don; backwards-compatibility statment is in part a statement that we will continue to provide continuity for the DITA community. We have things to fix; the solutions should enable community to continue doing business as usual, but better.
Kris; there will be breakage, so folks will have to do some work, but 2.0 will provide support to do that. Stan, does that answer your question?
Stan; looking at the barriers to adoption, etc, the sooner we can engage with that, the sooner we can start to work on those.
Kris; I think we should limit the number of features that any one individual can own?
Robert; I think that means prioritizing what you want to do and only doing the important ones.
Tom; it also means getting others to help more.
Don; if you have a suite of items, spread the work out.
Eliot; my preference would be to do nothing for 5 years, and let 1.3 age and mellow.
Don; yes, but we'll see changes in the way communities develop and publish info.
and need to project the directions content is going, so this is how we'll need to support the community, and also enable growth of the community.
Kris; in view of the fact it took 5 yrs to get to 1.3, we can't just wait 5 yrs...
Robert; even if we started work this summer, it will take us years to get there.
Kris; we also have other things on the horizon, Lightweight DITA and perhaps a pharma profile.
Eliot; the same people who would contribute to 2.0 are currently busy with 1.3, so I don't want to start on 2.0 too quickly; I don't want to be pressured to ocme with proposals in the short term.
Robert; that won't happen. I have a lot of proposals for 2.0 in my mind already; most of them involve stripping things out.
Tom; if we put a limit on features one person could own, we could lose important changes. so we just have to prioritize; we don't want an arbitrary limit
Eliot; we did that in 1.3
Robert; but in a number of places, you had too much stuff on your plate, and the process slowed down.
Kris; I will remain a really stauch advocate of limiting individual proposals, will also spread the wealth around
Robert; it's a bad sign when we have lots of things we consider high priority, but only one person to do them.
Don; by that time, the demographics of the group will be different
Kris; yes; how do we ihnsure long-term health of voting membership of TC? we don't want to lose the 'gene pool' of ideas.
Kris; and we want to make sure we have a steady supply of people who make those ideas into the reality of the spec. chairs, spec editors, sec'ys.
Stan; when we went thru 1.2 approval process, we contacted lots of OASIS mmvbers, for 1.3 we should piggyback on that with recruiting.

11:56 ET Close

-- Ms. Nancy Harrison
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 2 June 2015

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Ms. Nancy Harrison
Group: OASIS Darwin Information Typing Architecture (DITA) TC
Folder: Meeting Notes
Date submitted: 2015-06-08 23:09:26

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]