Subject: DITA 1.3 public comment: branch filter precedence

Kris and I have finished going through the comments from Richard Forster on topics related to filtering. We wanted to bring one of them back to the TC for discussion. His comment is here:

Specifically, the fourth comment:

A bit of background info:
With that background, the markup in question is the following:
 </topicref>
</topicref>

The question is: if highLevel.ditaval sets a default action for audience, so that unspecified values are excluded, AND it does not specify a condition for audience="novice", AND lowLevel.ditaval sets that specific condition to "include", is that condition excluded for the entire branch, ? I think the answer is yes, under the principle of least surprise and/or "you get what you ask for", but admit it's unclear enough that we should run it by the TC before clarifying the language. If the TC agrees, then I think that we should clarify this by reusing the language from the architectural specification, with an explicit addition that says "exclude" also applies when set up as a default action.

Robert D Anderson
IBM Authoring Tools Development
Chief Architect, DITA Open Toolkit (http://www.dita-ot.org/)