Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 21 July 2015 uploaded

Submitter's message
ActionItems:
Due by July 28:
1. Kris will distribute to TC the spreadsheet from SVN that tracks all changes don in response to comments to 1.3.
2. Stan will consult with Tony Self to update description of @ux-source-priority.
Due by July 31:
3. Tom will improve edition graphics to make them easier for folks with visual impairments to read
4. Stan will conditionalize the commonNavLibraryTable.dita file
5. Bob will coordinate with Kris/Robert to
a. add section @id attributes and values (Bob)
b. rename files to improve compliance with OASIS file-naming directives (Bob)
c. Add collection-type="sequence" to all maps
6. Kris will correct poor markup; replace any hacks (for example, to generate xrefs to dlentry)
Indeterminate Due date:
7. Kris will check into what other TCs currently have focus areas, or if they closed, when TC ceased activity

Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 21 July 2015
Recorded by Nancy Harrison
link to agenda for this meeting:
https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/PreviousAgendas

Regrets:

Standing Business
=================
Approve minutes from previous business meetings:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201507/msg00101.html (Nancy Harrison, 14 July 2015)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201507/msg00108.html (Correction from Anderson, 21 July 2015)
Proposed by Kris as amended by Nancy in response to Robert's comments, seconded by Joann, approved by TC

Subcommittee Reports
none

Announcements
None

Business
========
1. Action items
- Action items from 14 July 2015
Kris: Send e-mail to Chet Ensign requesting that the Translation SC be closed (Completed)
Kris: Post PDF of architectural spec (with index) to list (Completed)
Kris; both items done

2. Continuing item: Closing inactive subcommittees
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201507/msg00058.html (Eberlein, 11 July 2015)
Kris; waiting to hear back from Chet re; OASIS plans for OASIS open source project; if that won't be available within next 6 montohs, will close and move work to github repository where it will be available to all

3. Calendar for critical dates to enable DITA 1.3 to be released in 2015
Schedule: July - December 2015 (https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/ScheduleJuly-December2015)
Kris; we don't need to review today, please just track.

4. Comments received during the public review, 7 July - 5 September
Public review #1 comments (https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/DITA-1.3-public-review-1)
Kris; please review the link to see the summary of comments between last week and now.
Robert; we've reviewed items in linked table; the only issue is later on in agenda (agenda item #6), we need to get help from Stan on ux-resource-priority
[Kris described use of wiki page to track comments, will also submit actual spreadsheet from SVN that tracks all changes done in response. Kris and Robert have been fixing all the issues that they can on their own; they're only bringing things to the TC that need discussion.]
AI: Kris will distribute to TC the spreadsheet from SVN that tracks all changes don in response to comments to 1.3.

5. New item: DITA 1.3 public comment: Branch filter precedence
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201507/msg00105.html (Anderson, 20 July 2015)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201507/msg00107.html (Kimber, 20 July 2015)
Robert; background (from email); this relates to the case where you have 2 ditavalrefs at different levels in a branch. In arch. spec., it says that if you exclude something at a high level, you can't then include it at a lower level. The default is that anything not specifically listed should be excluded unless it says otherwise; does this mean it is excluded for whole branch? Eliot's response is that; yes, it's excluded. I'm comfortable with that; is everyone else also comfortable there?
Michael; Let's look at an example where you exclude by default, say you have a document shared across multiple products; at the top level, you restrict output to that for only one product, but somewhere down in install, you have something for including a pre-requisite product install. Consensus is that the prerequisite product info would be excluded unless the top level allowed it; you have to know at upper map level what kinds of material you'll need within the larger document later on.
Robert; so this is an edge case, but the map author does need to know about what's going on.
Eliot; given a root map, you can run a process to determine what all the conditions are, and write a ditaval that does the right thing; setting default exclude is just a convenience and you don't have to use it.
Kris; i'm curious how many implementations are using ditaval defaults
David; we do at PTC.
Eliot; setting default to exclude is my normal practice
Robert; not at IBM; we don't exclude by default.
Michael; use of defaults predates the branch filtering; some @s are set to exclude by default, some are set to include by default.
Kris; and many implementations aren't even aware of the facility to do that; it's not part of common vernacular for most writers.
Eliot; but it's so painful...
Robert; only if you use a lot of conditions.
Kris; we're in consensus? [yes]
[resolution; branch filtering precedence is as described in arch. spec.]

6. New comment on dita-comment: Better explanation of @ux-source-priority
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita-comment/201507/msg00024.html (Julio Vazquez, 16 July 2015)
Robert; this @ was added to this element for 1.3; putting window info in a map or topic, to allow another app to reference a dita file, so this @ says which info to use in case of conflict (e.g. map says top-left, topic says bottom-left, which takes priority?), Julio says these aren't clear, nor is how to take advantage of them. Stan, what do you think?
Stan; he's right, there's some vagueness here, sometimes these are giving help to a help compilert, and there are many help compilers, so these just capture the top 4-5 usage. But it could certainly use more explanation. I'd be glad to send it thru help SC to fix this.
Robert; if it's going to change, we need the new wording within 10 days; I'm slightly concerned because your description of compiler stuff doesn't fit with my understanding; if you have metadata specified in both map and topic, it says which to use; just doesn't say how to use it...
Kris; Stan, do you remember what proposal this was?
Stan; was a rider under Robert's propossal for resource-id?
Robert; this was separate from my changes; I think this @ is entirely telling a process which to use; came in with resource-id changes that followed mine.
Kris; we can pass this to Stan to ask for a fix (w/Tony Self?); but we need the answer back by next week's mtg.
Stan; will do.
[no other questions/comments on this]
AI: Stan will consult with Tony Self to update description of @ux-source-priority.

7. Continuing item: Things we can do during the forthcoming public review
Wiki page for work items
Kris; we have folks assigned for 'must do' items; Tom and Stan, can you have your stuff done by the end of July?
Tom; I can definitely have graphics by end of month; I've also seen some places where other graphics would be useful; can we add them?
Kris; that's off the table, but please log where you think they'd be helpful.
Tom; there are a couple of places where they would be nice; lots of places where they would be useful.
Kris; we can't put them in for this release; but please log them; Stan, what about you?
Stan; I don't know what I need to do
Kris; Robert can you help him figure out what he needs to do?
Robert; yes
Kris; put these as AIS for end of month.
Kris: wrt 'nice-to-dos'; Bob, can you get those done by end of month?
Bob; I already wrote code, I just need to know when to pull the trigger.
Kris; coordinate with Robert and me.
Kris; wrt 'correct poor markup' item; I put in some hacks; I can do that; we got an request from ChrisN to add collectiontype="sequence" (to generate 'next' and 'previous' links).
Bob; should I do that as well?
Kris; that would be great. What about the 'alt text' item?
Tom; I'll do that, since I'm looking at every image anyway.
Kris; We need some build readmes, in each of the 3 editions; 'here's your root map, here's the ditaval files... Robert and I can do those, since we know them the best. I also want to make sure that all the examples are marked with otherprops="examples"
Robert; only for example elements.
Kris; we can look at the last 2 items on list next week.
ActionItems Due by July 31:
Due by July 31:
1. Tom will improve edition graphics to make them easier for folks with visual impairments to read
2. Stan will conditionalize the commonNavLibraryTable.dita file
3. Bob will coordinate with Kris/Robert to
a. add section @id attributes and values (Bob)
b. rename files to improve compliance with OASIS file-naming directives (Bob)
c. Add collection-type="sequence" to all maps
4. Kris will correct poor markup; replace any hacks (for example, to generate xrefs to dlentry)

8. Continuing item: Index in the PDF version of the spec?
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201507/msg00026.html (Eberlein, 7 July 2015)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201507/msg00027.html (Kimber, 7 July 2015)
Active discussion 7-10 July from Bob Thomas, Scott Hudson, Eliot Kimber, Tom Magliery, JoAnn Hackos, Leigh White, Dick Hamilton, Michael Priestly, Robert Anderson
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201507/msg00044.html (Priestley, 8 July 2015)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201507/msg00045.html (Anderson, 8 July 2015)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201507/msg00079.html (Eberlein, 14 July 2014)
Link to PDF of archSpec with the current index: https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201507/msg00098.html
Kris; I posted a PDF to see if we had a chance in hell of publishing a real index.
Amber; when can we start, and by when would we have to have it done?
Kris; we have a maximum 10-day window starting now. my gut is that it's not do-able.
Amber, Dick; you're probably right
Kris; it's a real deficit - lack of index - my strong suggestion is that we accept 'no index' for 1.3, but try to work on one as soon as we can start; maybe we can do an errata edition, with just an index.
Tom; what does that mean? what is the work involved in releasing an errata edition?
Kris; it's the same as pushing out a changed release
Don; could we also - alternatively - make it available from somewhere else?
Kris; possibly, let's think about what we can do, but realistically, take it off the table for 1.3.

9. dita.xml.org
Update about project work (Day)
History of site, especially the period when it was governed by DITA TC
Kris; we've gone forward with this using Mekon's DITAWeb, it's a pretty big effort on their part, and we need to take it seriously. This project is more than any one TC can handle, we don't want this to come just from either DITA TC or DITA Adoption TC. We need new blood, and we need a joint discussion of those 2 TCs. We need to have this as a key work item, along with Lightweight DITA and planning for 1.3 adoption, once it's out. Can Don or Michael give an overview?
Don; [overview] current activity; following selection of Mekon, we've been driving both TC's interest in buildout; we saw a prototype, but it needed a bunch of customization; all the systems we looked at are considered to be content production systems, not just content mgmt systems. The ability to represent branding, etc. are in OASIS. I'm working with Mark Giffin on this; we're working on editors that can generate content for a DITA topic, without having to use a full DITA editor; his intent is to move as much editing as posible into form fields, especially for things like events...
We see this as a showcase for new DITA use cases. will be following up with him to see where he's at on his task.
Kris; glad to see you have an interest in tech underpinnings. As a TC, how can we make the re-launched site really successful? The current site is not successful. Mekon is doing this as a gift; we need to match them. what is required to do that? How can we help? Many folks on this call aren't even familiar with dita.xml.org What is it's history?
Don; the site was started in 2004; OASIS had focus areas for several of its TCs; wiki sites on OASIS, intnded to help with adoption of those standards. When we started DITA TC, we immediately started a focus area. We got involved with OASIS members as part of an editorial board, had DITA experts on editorial board, periodic mtgs; came to a point where OASIS was willing to transfer the editorial board to the DITA adoption TC, so the dita.xml.org focus SC was created under adoption TC. I'm a bit fuzzy on what happened after that.
Kris; we can wait and hear from Joann on that, comments from Michael?
Michael; we tried various things when we kicked off; forums, knowledge base, wikis,
Don; there's been continuing tension between dita.xml.org and dita-users, the question was whether that would be a 'community-splitter'; this is our chance to coordinate all those grass-roots activities.
Michael; we were very early in establishing a focus area.
AI; Kris will check into what other TCs currently have focus areas, or if they closed, when TC ceased activity

12:00 ET Close

-- Ms. Nancy Harrison
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 21 July 2015

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Ms. Nancy Harrison