Subject: Excerpts from DITA TC minutes re dita.xml.org, 2014-2015

https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=53949&wg_abbrev=dita

4. New item: Hosting and sponsorship of dita.xml.org
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201408/msg00036.html (Priestley, 19 August 2014)
Michael summarized the situation; the content on dita.xml.org doesn't have anyone to own it and take responsibility, isn't curated or moderated as it should be; there's lots of spam, very little good stuff. One possibility is to hand it off to someone to sponsor and run. for free publicity; it's making us look bad and it's not even using DITA-based technology. Joann, Kris and Michael have bounced the idea around and vetted it with OASIS; they know it's bad, and makes them look bad, and are willing to let us do it.
Don; I can certainly sympathize with the issue; but I'm a little surprised OASIS agreed.
Michael; it would continue to be an OASIS site, just not a Drupal site; would let the sponsor company publicize that it's their technology.
Kris; OASIS is aware how bad it is and that the limitations of Drupal have made it hard to use and maintain. Michael's points include 7 points that all support OASIS, which were talked about by Kris, Joann, Michael, and Carol Geyer from OASIS; the idea has gone off to OASIS legal, haven't heard back from them yet.
Kris; there are 3 corporate members of DITA TC with corporate products that could be used; SDL, Oberon, Mekon.
Chris; we're quite interested. (Oberon)
Joann; there's a lot of content on the site that's not DITA content; e.g. event advertising.
Michael; that should still be DITA; it's possible for us to do a full DITA site
Chris; the important thing is to take DITA and make it searchable, etc.
Kris; it's nice to be able to post PDFs to the site.
[discussion about what's required by OASIS on their HTML pages.]
Kris; If not general TC comments, then we should go on with this.
Jan Graaf; why are we limiting ourselves to companies that are current TC members? If we put out a set of requirements, we might solicit sponsors outside TC, but with requirement that they have to join OASIS/TC to become sponsor. It could help us get the best candidate.
Kris; are we limited by the need for the sponsor to be an OASIS corporate sponsor?
Jan Graaf; Maybe we could convince them to become one because of possible publicity.
Michael; more like an announcement to dita-users list was what I was thinking.
Kris; can I get a small group to work on requirements?
Joann; Michael, what were your requirements? Also, is the TC taking over the site from "Adoption TC, which currently owns it?
Don; I'll help
[Michael. Joann, Jan, Kris, Chris all volunteered to work on this.
Kris; the TC and Adoption TC might come up with a slim list of requirements, and leave it to potential tech providers to suggest format and implementation.
Stan; is there any other site sponsored by OASIS that's doing this?
Michael; no, we'd be the precedent, that's why OASIS folks are excited by our proposal. if there's a chance to outsource
Kris; lots of ways in which we break new ground.

https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=54106&wg_abbrev=dita

4. Continued item: Plans for dita.xml.org
Notes from call on 27 August 2014
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201409/msg00009.html
Michael's original post to list / OASIS requirements
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201408/msg00036.html (19 August 2014)
TC minutes from 19 August
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201408/msg00059.html
Kris; see the minutes of the Aug 27th call. The goals & requirements decided on at that call will be content of RFP for vendors.
Don; do we need to ask if OASIS has its own goals/requirements for the site?
Kris; we need to be very careful about what we ask vendors to support.
Don; especially since we're requiring native DITA processing...
[recap of mail content]
Don; Carol Dwyer of OASIS agreed with comments.
Kris; who can work with this?
Tom; will sign on as a reviewer
Kris; looking for volunteers for coordinating this work - will keep asking.

https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=54641&wg_abbrev=dita

4. New item: RFP for dita.xml.org site
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201411/msg00068.html (Eberlein, 23 November 2014)
Kris; I sent the RFP out Nov 23rd; posted it to dita-users, and forwarded it to 5 main DITA-friendly rendering engine vendors. I also got email from Ixiasoft, asking if we're looking for CMS as well as a rendering env.
Keith; that came after I pinged them.
Kris; one immediate response came from someone distressed that we're not going to keep using open source tech.
Michael; we need to avoid trashing Drupal; this issues isn't about opensource vs big companies; most of the possible vendors are small comanies.
Kris; People don't appreciate that TC work is volunteer, not paid work; I've have had people ping me on timeline/due date.

https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=55719&wg_abbrev=dita

4. Report about dita.xml.org:
Meeting today 5/19 at 1 PM ET to select vendor
don; having meeting today; have enough info to make decision; for everyone attending, you need to have looked at the 2 1-hour videos; please be ready with your eval thoughts.

https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=55767&wg_abbrev=dita

4. Report about dita.xml.org
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201505/msg00138.html (Day, 19 May 2015)
Don; we met last week to do a final evaluation, having seen various demos; we came to a primary choice of Mekon web offering, because of advanced state of development and community support for it. We apprised the various vendors, and thanked them. Mekon will have internal meetings and then meet with our committee in early June. will need assistance from community in evaluating existing content, curating it, oonverting to DITA, adding taxonomy (they use subjectscheme for taxonomy), so we need input for that.
Kris; I think this will be a nice fresh look for the site.
Don; just fyi, the other offerings were also good in handling of DITA, but the best community site was Mekon's.

https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=56165&wg_abbrev=dita

9. dita.xml.org
Update about project work (Day)
History of site, especially the period when it was governed by DITA TC
Kris; we've gone forward with this using Mekon's DITAWeb, it's a pretty big effort on their part, and we need to take it seriously. This project is more than any one TC can handle, we don't want this to come just from either DITA TC or DITA Adoption TC. We need new blood, and we need a joint discussion of those 2 TCs. We need to have this as a key work item, along with Lightweight DITA and planning for 1.3 adoption, once it's out. Can Don or Michael give an overview?
Don; [overview] current activity; following selection of Mekon, we've been driving both TC's interest in buildout; we saw a prototype, but it needed a bunch of customization; all the systems we looked at are considered to be content production systems, not just content mgmt systems. The ability to represent branding, etc. are in OASIS. I'm working with Mark Giffin [Eberlein: Correction -- Mark Poston] on this; we're working on editors that can generate content for a DITA topic, without having to use a full DITA editor; his intent is to move as much editing as posible into form fields, especially for things like events...
We see this as a showcase for new DITA use cases. will be following up with him to see where he's at on his task.
Kris; glad to see you have an interest in tech underpinnings. As a TC, how can we make the re-launched site really successful? The current site is not successful. Mekon is doing this as a gift; we need to match them. what is required to do that? How can we help? Many folks on this call aren't even familiar with dita.xml.org What is it's history?
Don; the site was started in 2004; OASIS had focus areas for several of its TCs; wiki sites on OASIS, intnded to help with adoption of those standards. When we started DITA TC, we immediately started a focus area. We got involved with OASIS members as part of an editorial board, had DITA experts on editorial board, periodic mtgs; came to a point where OASIS was willing to transfer the editorial board to the DITA adoption TC, so the dita.xml.org focus SC was created under adoption TC. I'm a bit fuzzy on what happened after that.
Kris; we can wait and hear from Joann on that, comments from Michael?
Michael; we tried various things when we kicked off; forums, knowledge base, wikis,
Don; there's been continuing tension between dita.xml.org and dita-users, the question was whether that would be a 'community-splitter'; this is our chance to coordinate all those grass-roots activities.
Michael; we were very early in establishing a focus area.
AI; Kris will check into what other TCs currently have focus areas, or if they closed, when TC ceased activity

www.eberleinconsulting.com
+1 919 682-2290; kriseberlein (skype)