Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 11 August 2015 uploaded

Submitter's message
Action items: none

Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 11 August 2015
Recorded by Nancy Harrison
link to agenda for this meeting:
https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/PreviousAgendas

Regrets: none

[note; meeting opened at 11:30 rather than 11:00]

Standing Business
=================
Approve minutes from previous business meetings:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201508/msg00015.html (Nancy Harrison, 4 Aug 2015)
Proposed by Kris, seconded by Joann, approved by TC
[minutes for July 28th were submitted but never approved; they will be voted on next week]

Subcommittee Reports
none

Announcements
None

Business
========
1. Action items
- Action items from 4 August 2015
None

2. Comments received during the public review, 9 July - 7 August
Helpful links:
Public review #1 comments (https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/DITA-1.3-public-review-1)
Excel spreadsheet that logs changes to DITA source (https://tools.oasis-open.org/version-control/browse/wsvn/dita/spec/dita-1.3-change-log.xlsx)
Summary of comment received since last TC meeting:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201508/msg00074.html (Eberlein, 8 August 2015)
Robert gave overview of OASIS TAB comments from Patrick and Jacques. Luckily, their comments have no more weight than any one else's; he and Kris responded to the huge impact of TAB comments, mostly wrt normative (lower- and upper-case must/MUST, should/SHOULD, may/MAY, etc.) and conformance lalnguage. We can't do much about conformance, because of what we've done before in DITA 1.[0-2] specs and for backwards compatibility reasons. They talked to Chet, and he thought our conformance language was better than most; our conformance clause is loose, but much more informative than that of many other TCs.
Kris; I added a column, in this summary table (3rd link above), for 'future work required' related to the TAB comments.
Nancy; should we do the same thing for previous, non-TAB comments?
Kris; yes, we definitely should when we have time. the TAB comments were definitely more substantive, regarding the spec as a whole, than previous comments.
Kris; any comments on how the comments were handled?
Eliot; just a comment; Norm [Walsh of DocBook] has had the same issues with TAB comments for DocBook releases..
Don; Kris and Robert have done a remarkable job with this.
Kris; and Tom was a big help.
[general agreement]

3. Vote to approve the comment disposition log located at https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=56253&wg_abbrev=dita
Background info: This is a PDF that contains the content from both the Wiki page and the Excel spreadsheet.
Motion from chair or proxy: I vote that we approve this comment log and agree that the changes are non-material. Will someone offer a second? Any objections?"
This motion was moved by Kris, seconded by Eliot; there were no objections, so it is approved by the TC.

4. Vote to hold a special majority vote [and use our standard round-table process here]
- The following motion was made by Kris:
"I move to approve the Chair to request that TC Administration hold a Special Majority Vote to approve the Darwin Information Typing Architecture (DITA) Version 1.3, Committee Specification 01 contained in https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/download.php/56259 as a Committee Specification. I further move that the TC affirm that changes have been made since the last public review, that the changes made are documented at https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=56253&wg_abbrev=dita, and that the TC judges these changes to be Non-Material in accordance with the definition in the OASIS TC Process (http://www.oasis-open.org/policies-guidelines/tc-process#dNonmaterialChange)."
- Link to info for the chair to use in opening the TC Admin request: https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/DITA1.3TCAdminRequests

- The motion was seconded by Bob Thomas, and approved unanimously by the entire voting membership of the TC, as follows:
Yes votes: 16 (Anderson, Day, Doherty, Eberlein, Hackos, Hamilton, Harrison, Helfinstine, Hudson, Kimber, magliery, Nitchie, Priestley, Schenglie-Roberts, Sirois, Thomas)
No votes: 0
Abstaining: 0

[Continued discussion of impact of TAB comments; Chet will get back to TAB members on the importance of doing the review more quickly, but other committees may not be on same 'panicky speed to approval' path as we are.
Scott; DocBook is still working through this; it's still working through getting the resolutions to the comments approved.
Don; it's good that chet was willing to work with us.
Robert; between us we had a number of calls with him, maybe up to 90 mins total.
Kris; Chet was very calm and helpful, especially letting us know we didn't have to give the TAB comments any more weight than anyone else's. We also had a heads-up that they were coming; we worked on the comments from the internal TAB JIRA, so we could work on them as they were coming in. Otherwise we simply could not have done them.
Kris; as soon as the minutes are out, I will formally let chet know. Then he can open our ballot Friday at midnight.

5. Calendar for critical dates to enable DITA 1.3 to be released in 2015
Schedule: July - December 2015
[no action]

6. Continuing item: Things we can do during the (no-longer) forthcoming public review
Wiki page for work items
Kudos to Bob (scripting) and Tom (graphic overhaul and alt text improvement)
We will retire this page and open a new one. Items that we can move to the new page are a white paper about the DITA 1.3 editions.
Kris; we can close this item; we'll retire this page and open a new one. The main item will be the white paper on DITA 1.3 editions.

closed at 11:58

-- Ms. Nancy Harrison
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 11 August 2015

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Ms. Nancy Harrison