OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

dita message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 24 November 2015 uploaded

Submitter's message
[all related to 1.3 ballot campaign]
1. Joann will speak with Laurent about contacting Chinese companies on our behalf
2. Tom will send Joann a list of Chinese contacts
3. Tom will send Joann latest Mentor Graphics info.

Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 24 November 2015
Recorded by Nancy Harrison
link to agenda for this meeting:

Regrets: none

Standing Business
Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201511/msg00093.html (Nancy Harrison, for 17 November 2015)
Proposed by Kris, seconded by Dick, approved by TC

Subcommittee Reports


1. Action items
17 November 2015

2. Report back from tcworld and DITA Europe
Kris, Keith, and Eliot were at tcworld, plus Robert was at DITA Europe.
Eliot; I posted a report, posting about german vendors and a problematic presentation.
Kris; it's pretty clear that German CMS vendors are circling the wagons and feeling threatened. Fischer, which is not part of DERCOM, is moving all their clients to DITA.
[there was some interest in Lightweight DITA last year, not this year.)
Kris; Dercom is at every Mekon road show talking about how all value is in CCMS, none in DITA content model.
Don; got slides from SHEMA (sp?); don't know how they make their case, since a ccms ought to be free of impressing reqs on the language it supports., so how do the do it?
Eliot; he was comaring DITA as a standard to functionality of CCMS; since they're CCMS is a single schema, it's hard to
Amber; we talked about this at LD mtg. CeCe thought we didn't need to address this directly; just get sopme success with other German companies.
Eliot; Kris and I felt the same; we shouldn't give them any more 'airtime', just something to keep our eyes on
Michael; I think it's a 'don't feed the trolls' approach. If people are feeding themselves,, and everyone else only sees the trolls, everyone else thinks the trolls are right. I think we need to think about some refutations, not just ignoring them. We need to provide counter-examples of DITA success.
Eliot; would be good if we could see more about successful German implementations, so hopefully German vendors will be presenting.
Keith; Sarah O'Keefe also mentioned a DITA survey of large number of DITA tech writers. one question was 'what do you see about relevance of DITA in future'; most said 'none', so the problem is not just with DERCom.
Kris; tekom has always had mixed emotions about DITA.
Keith; I talked to some people who'd been to tekom; DITA is appearing as a keyword, appearing on boards of companies dealing with i18n, l10n, also there were some mentions of DITA requirements appearing on job boards.
Kris; and that's why we've been seeing the lobbying by DERCom, to oppose that trend
Robert; DITA Europe was 'boring' by contrast, so better...
Nancy; was there any overlap of attendees at tcworld and DITA Europe?
Joann; no, not much, some presenters that had been at both, but not attendees.
Don; any feedback on which presentations were considered most helpful?
Joann; no analysis of feedback as yet.. sessions were well repreented, a lot of questions, a lot of innovative solutions from people presenting.
Kris; and a great keynote.
Joann; which had nothing to do with DITA.
Kris; but with task orientation...
Joann, there was a good presentation on creating maps; people are looking for easier ways to plan a project and create a map out of it. The presentation was about creating Excel spreadsheets and then using a Trello tool to make a map out of it. Presentations were on making it easier to do things.

3. Problems with invocation example in the comments section of generated .ent files
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201511/msg00100.html (Bob Thomas, 21 November 2015)
Bob gave overview; public ID samples of .ent files are samples that belong in the .mod files; looks like it's being pulled from the mod files; not a functional problem, just confusing. don't know that it's serious problem, just a point of confusion.
Eliot; a problem with generation process; I haven't been able to fix it. I can update them by hand for next release.
Kris; I don't think we can make any changes at this point.
Robert; i think we leave it alone for now.
Don; and it can be one of the first errata items.

4. Calendar for critical dates to enable DITA 1.3 to be released in 2015
Schedule: July - December 2015
[no action]

5. Continuing item: Campaigning for the DITA 1.3 vote: (Tom Magliery)
Web conference for November 10, 17, and 24:
Meeting number: 805 209 611
Meeting password: blue
Ballot info for DITA 1.2: https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/voting/ballot.php?id=1968
Spreadsheet of OASIS voting members who will vote to approve DITA 1.3: http://tools.oasis-open.org/version-control/browse/wsvn/dita/administration/voting-OASIS-members-August-2015.xlsx
The spreadsheet includes e-mail addresses, whether a company uses DITA, whether the company is a TC member, and whether the company voted Yes on DITA 1.2
Tom went over contact status; discussed people who aren't in priority list, but need to be added to it; people who are primary voters, and should have people assigned to them.
Kris; do you want to assign them?
Tom; I was resisting just assigning people.
Kris; does anyone object to adding people?
Joann; Laurent Liscia (OASIS CEO) works a lot with Chinese companies.
ActionItem. Joann will speak with Laurent about contacting Chinese companieis on our behalf.
Joann; can you send me list of chinese contacts?
Tom; will do
ActionItem; Tom will send Joann a list of Chinese contacts
Kris; you can give me 10 more; Amber said she would take 5 more.
Tom will add the following: 5 more contacts - Stan, Dick, Joann, Scott; 10 more - Don, Eric, Keith, Bob
ActionItem; Tom will send Joann latest Mentor Graphics info.
Kris; I can do Hosner Plotnow Institute
Tom; in the next day or two, Chet will get things moving, then in a week, the vote will open.
Kris; our TC ballot closes tomorrow;
Tom; we want to finish all first contacts with assigned voters; will review next week.
Kris; if anyone wants to do analysis of spreadsheet to figure out who are our best bets. good industry sectors? (Tom, Eric, Michael, and/or Keith can take on the Canadians.)

close at 11:40

-- Ms. Nancy Harrison
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 24 November 2015

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Ms. Nancy Harrison
Group: OASIS Darwin Information Typing Architecture (DITA) TC
Folder: Meeting Notes
Date submitted: 2015-12-01 05:11:50

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]