Subject: DITA TC and open source GitHub projects

OASIS has given us the go-ahead to start open source GitHub projects. In fact, Chet said "DITA is the poster child TC for implementing an Open Repository. You all want it, you have a broad, supportive, enthusiastic community that will be positive about this, and just operationally speaking, you are a group that really runs smoothly and dots the i's and crosses the t's. (And I mentioned the way you all approached the OS vote as an example.)"

So what does this mean?

We can start open source projects that are affiliated with the DITA TC but not fully controlled by it. We could use this for the following sorts of projects:
  • Open source development that might later be brought back into the OASIS standard process, for example, the semiconductor specializations
  • Open source development for projects that we think are valuable but not appropriate for OASIS, for example, Eliot's tool for generating DTDs and XSD from RNG or a DITA test suite
  • Enabling collaboration with companies or individuals who cannot afford to join OASIS

We'll need to think carefully about what open source projects we want to start, much as we need to think carefully before chartering any new subcommittees.

In order to initiate a DITA TC-affiliated open source project, we'll need the following:

  • One or more TC members who will be the initial maintainer(s) for the project
  • A description of the project and its goals and purpose
  • A short description for use in the intro text for the project
  • The license under which the project will operate (BSD-3-Clause License, Apache License v 2.0, CC-BY 2.0, or Eclipse Public License v 1.0)
  • A GitHub name for the project

I had a phone call with Chet yesterday, in which I asked him about why OASIS was moving in this direction and more. Some TCs were already informally working on open source projects, and it has proven helpful -- for example,
the LegalXML Electronic Court Filing TC developed a test platform that uncovered flaws in their standard that would enable implementations to conform to standard but not be interoperable.

I think it is clear that had this option been available when the DITA TC was formed, this is how what later became the DITA Open Toolkit would have been handled.

www.eberleinconsulting.com
+1 919 682-2290; kriseberlein (skype)