OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

dita message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 26 January 2016 uploaded

Submitter's message
1. Eliot will tag the repository, then make bug fixes relating to XSD and 1.3 DTD catalog discussed on 1/26
2. Michael will contact LD SC about setting up OASIS Github project
3. All TC members will consider whether they (individually) could do project mgmt. for 1.3 errata.

Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 26 January 2016
Recorded by Nancy Harrison
link to agenda for this meeting:

Regrets: Scott Hudson

Standing Business
Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201601/msg00061.html (Nancy Harrison, for 12 January 2015)
Proposed by Kris, seconded by Bob, approved by TC

Subcommittee Reports


1. Action items
12 January 2015 - none

2. Update on OASIS press release (Eberlein)
Kris; thanks to all TC members who offered suggestions; we have comments from a number of companies. just fyi, procedure for soliciting comments is: Carol Geyer at OASIS by default sends mail to the official mail list for our TC and Adoption TC, and people don't necessarily pay attention. So I sent mail specifically to voting reps of sponsoring companies in OASIS who would be eligible. In the future, we can get a list from Carol of eligible sponsor companies so we can send out such an email.

3. New item: XSD bugs
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201601/msg00071.html (Kimber, 26 January 2016)
4. New item: Small Omission in 1.3 DTD Catalogs
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201601/msg00070.html (Kimber, 26 January 2016)
[both items covered in following discussion]
Eliot gave overview; there's a missing entry in the catalog.xml file for topcdefn.ent. Radu found another error for a missing domain attributes from subjectscheme map. I've corrected those bugs, will get repository updated.
Kris; is there any housekeeping or setup before we start committing things for 1.3 errata?
Eliot; you mean take a snapshot and tag the current repository?
Kris, we actually need to take a snapshot of the status before you made these corrections/
Eliot; we should use our tagging on current repository, then we can go ahead without making a branch.
Tom; what's the difference between a tag and a branch?
Eliot; a tag is basically a name for a revision number, so we don't have to refer to it as 'Rev xxxx'.
Kris; how difficult will this be, Eliot? You didn't like it in 2010 when 1.2 went out.
Eliot; at that time , directory structure was bad.
ActionItem; Eliot will tag the repository, then make the bug fixes

5. DITA 1.3 errata planning
Wiki page: https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/DITA_1.3_Errata
[bad link; search on '1.3 errata'
Kris; who would be project mgr for 1.3 errata?
ActionItem: TC members need to consider whether they could do PM for 1.3 errata

6. Who is planning to attend tcworld 2016?
Kris; who is planning to be there? (Kris will be there)
Tom; maybe
Keith; maybe

7. Continuing item: DITA TC and open source GitHub projects
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201601/msg00010.html (Eberlein, 5 January 2016)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201601/msg00011.html (Eberlein, 5 January 2016)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201601/msg00040.html (Kimber, 12 January 2016)
Kris; Michael, you were interested in this, right?
Michael; I'll propose that on the LightweightDITA (LD) email list and get back to you
Kris; I've told OASIS Eliot's tooling and LD are candidates, and maybe SIDSC work
Michael; this would be an OASIS-sponsored Github repo?
Kris; yes, this would allow OASIS members and non-members to work together on Open-source projects.
Michael; I'll send out email to LD about it.
ActionItem: Michael will contact LD SC about setting up OASIS Github project

8. Continuing item: Time for a reflection on DITA 1.0-DITA 1.3
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201601/msg00036.html (Eberlein, 12 January 2016)
Kris; reflections on 10+ years; what are changes in the landscape?
- moves towards continuous integration and build
- dynamic publishing
- beyond Tech comms audience for DITA
- 'every page is page one' philosophy
Don; when we talk about above, are the concerns on 'how to do that with maps?' one obvious thing; if no map, how do you define keyrefs?
JimT; most people are having editors; for our preview, wh have people specify map content under which they're viewing content.
Stan; I think don's comment applies where for some context - e.g. embedded help - you don't really need a map.
Eliot; but if you need keys, then you always need a map.
Don; unless we can liberate keys from maps...
Bob; you need at least 2 entities for keys to be relevant, so you always need a map.
Don; e.g., target might be a news topic with embedded images, associated quotes from other locations; if it's published from a CMS, you might not need a map - you might have a 'contextless' topic...
Kris; in that case, you really going outside DITA context
Robert; If the direct refs are going to a delivery environment, you still need a map.
Eliot; we have to separate authoring context from publishing context when we talk about 'dynamic publishing'.
Kris; 'indirection as required'? I disagree with this
Eliot; we'll have to agree to disagree.
[Robert; I agree with Kris on this.
Eliot; for delivery, we want to avoid indirection; so in the abstract, we have content as authored, and content as delivered; we talk about delivery as authored, but there's always some sort of transform, even with 'dynamic' delivery.
Chris; in delivery, a topic is by itself; we have 'topic as authored', and 'topic as referenced'; they're very different things
Kris; any other comments?
Don; thinking about how to describe potential new markets for DITA; for many new markets, they don't use the model of 'build/publish' to separate platform from creation; authoring/publishing in blogs is identical. so for these cases they store and publish in the same place. New model is 'create once, publish everywhere', but content is non-portable because it's stored in a database. "Accessing it represents not a build step but a query. I want us to be thinking about making inroads in mktg content, we need to look at current publishing methodology for that space; many are not useing tech-doc-based workflow.
Kris; but I know many mktg folks who find it advantageous for them.
Don; yes, where DITA becomes glue for content.


Kris; going forward; we need to deal with new conformance guidelines from OASIS.
Is there anything else?
[no suggtestions from TC]

11:40 ET Close

-- Ms. Nancy Harrison
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 26 January 2016

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Ms. Nancy Harrison
Group: OASIS Darwin Information Typing Architecture (DITA) TC
Folder: Meeting Notes
Date submitted: 2016-02-08 12:03:20

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]