OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

dita message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 12 April 2016 uploaded

Submitter's message
1. Kris will talk to George and Radu at Oxygen about having useful links to DITA 1.3 spec, and any other important documents, on their main DITA page.
2. Tom will put the conference flyer into Kavi.
3. Kris will add updated links to the 'why DITA?' page; Tom volunteered to help with this
4. Kris will kick off a working group on upgrading to DITA 1.3
5. Robert will add item for 'adding a xref to strong/weak constraints' to errata

Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 12 April 2016
Recorded by Nancy Harrison
link to agenda for this meeting:


Standing Business
Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201604/msg00000.html (Tom Magliery, for 29 March 2016)
Proposed by Kris, seconded by Don, approved by TC

Subcommittee Reports

David Helfinstine is no longer with PTC and therefore no longer on the TC.

1. Action items
[all items COMPLETED; will clear AI list next week]
22 March 2016:
Tom: Create a Wiki page to collect ideas for discussions on the new dita.xml.org site
[wiki page: https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/Working%20page%20for%20dita.xml.org ]
29 March 2016:
Kris & Tom: Finalize text of message about promoting official DITA 1.3 Web pages (C
Tom: Add "More metadata, including that for Google Analytics" to DITA 1.3 errata page
Keith: Investigate whether IXIASOFT can print slips for distribution at CMS/DITA NA conference
Kris: Send e-mail to dita-users about promoting official DITA 1.3 Web pages
Eliot: Send link to TC list about where in the spec we specify what characters are allowed in @keyscope
Robert: Add "Clarify what characters are allowed in @keyscope" to DITA 1.3 errata page
Kris: Add "Clarify what characters are allowed in @keyscope" to DITA 2.0 page
Kris: Add link to DITA 2.0 Wiki page to TC front page

2. Announcements:
New members: Ullakaisa Kalander, CITEC has joined OASIS as an Associate Member in order to participate in the Lightweight DITA TC.

3. Report back from CMS/DITA NA 2016
Kris; comments on the conference?
Robert; there was a whole track of topics on LightweightDITA; I'd like to hear about them, since I couldn't go to any.
Eliot; there was a lot of interest, all were well attended.
Kris; I went to 2 of the 4 LD sessions. In one, Carlos presented results of real research study on his students' reaction to using LD, and they liked it; it was a good session, with a good message.
Keith; I was at that session as well, I asked for his paper. The samples were with HDITA, not DITA; with a group of students who assessed content as well as usability. His results really refute 'XML Sucks' article by Mark Baker.
Kris; Baker's article is in the STC research journal. I'll send out the link to it.
Keith; more about the conference; it's definitely entering a transition phase as CIDM moves from the Hackos to the Stevens era. I talked to Bill Hackos and he said Joann hoping to leave fairly soon. Presentations were great, but a lot of the same faces talking to sales people, vendors and others were talking about the lack of fresh blood, attendance was down.
Tom; as a vendor, I support that; it was dramatically noticable how few people were coming to booths. Dawn will have to work on that if she wants to keep vendors in the hall.
Eliot; Joann said it was the highest percentage of new people in years.
Don; [especially given that total attendance was down, that means the fewest number of repeat attendees
Cathy; for most of the 'new people', they were new but their companies weren't, had sent people to the show before.
Eliot; attendees weren't decision makers looking for tools, they were writers looking for guidance.
Tom; the idea came up on the last last session on Weds. to add a new intro (educational) track, to allow newbies to get something out of the conference.
Eliot; is there a sense in which DITA is 'too easy?', so that companies don't need to send people to the conference, or don't need to have so many people 'doing' DITA?
Kris; the conference aims at folks using DITA and looking for new directions. Cathy, how did the 'intro' session on Sunday go?
Cathy, about 15 people, a bunch who didn't come.
Amber; another factor inn reduced attendance; there are now a lot of CIDM online courses/conferences, maybe that's siphoning off attendees?
Cathy; online conferences were mostly new people who don't have travel budgets. I
don't think it affected conference attendance; everyone agreed that face-to-face interaction was valuable.
Kris; as a consultant, it was a very good conference; all the tracks and sessions I went to were good.
Amber; one of my clients was a new attendee; she had to make a choice between attending her CCMS vendor's conference and this, a budget choice.
Cathy; i heard about that in responses from non-attendees as well.
Kris; what other CCMS vendors have conferences (Ixiasoft, SDL, Astoria)
Keith; this is only our (Ixiasoft's) 3rd year of doing a DITA-specific conference. We use the DITA conference to get new contects, rather than our own, which is already existing users, so this is important to us.
Kris; if CIDM is going to get more new people, it needs a newbie track.
Cathy, we had one before...
Stan; maybe we should be looking at some local (e.g.regional STC, SIGDOC, etc.) conferences to work on the pipeline.
Stan; if our local DITA adoption story is weak, then we're asking folks to make a big jump to attend any of these nationa conference l conferences
Kris; other notes on the conference; great presentations by DITA TC members, a good TC dinner, Tom did a great end-of-session panel (with panel members Stan, Joann, Eric Kuhnen from Astoria, and Kris)
Tom; I had a good time with it...look forward to seeing feedback
Kris; people were asking for more use cases for 1.3 features; we said they exist, and someone asked why we can't harvest / distribute them. We really need to consider doing that.
Bob; in my white paper on troubleshooting, I used those.
Kris; as a TC, should we put out all our 1.3 feature use cases in one place?
Bob; my concern is with use cases that were not fully implemented.
Amber; those may be the best ones...
Kris; by stage 3, we pretty much knew what we were doing; also Robert's session on DITA-OT was great.

4. New item: Motion to close the Semiconductor Information Design subcommittee
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201603/msg00042.html (Eberlein, 29 March 2016)
Short discussion.
Motion to abolish SIDSC proposed by Kris, seconded by Keith, no objections, approved by TC.

5. Continuing item: How to move the DITA 1.3 spec up in Google rankings
Message about links to DITA 1.3 spec:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201603/msg00038.html (Eberlein, 29 March 2016)
Current results in Google ranking (Eberlein)
Need to archive flyer used at CMS/DITA NA 2016
Should we revise the "Why three editions" committee note to include this information?
Tom; we put out a little flyer on this at the conference; we hope people picked that up and will start linking from their pages to the spec.
Kris; I've gotten email from a couple of people who said they'd done that.
Tom; I wonder if Oxygen has good links, since their own page has a pretty high ranking.
Kris; should we update the public TC page to include good links to the 1.3 spec and other useful documents?
ActionItem: Kris will talk to George and Radu at Oxygen about having useful links to DITA 1.3 spec, and any other important documents, on their main DITA page.
ActionItem; Tom will put the conference flyer into Kavi.
ActionItem: Kris will add updated links to the 'why DITA?' page; Tom volunteered to help with this

6. New item: Proposed committee note about upgrading to DITA 1.3
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201604/msg00004.html (Eberlein, 11 April 2016)
Kris, any responses to my email?
Tom; we should do this, unless it's being done by the Adoption TC.
Nancy; if no one else has done it, and they don't seem to have, then we should do it.
Kris; it requires the kind of expertise that the TC has the most of.
Don; when the DITA Help SC did their 'how to do help in DITA? article, we gave them a bunch of grief on vendor neutrality.
Kris; it was mostly pushback from su-laine on specific vendors' products; this woud be on what users need to ask from their vendors about support for new features, so it would be vendor-neutral.
Keith; I would back that; it would also limit the scope to what would be a proper vendor-neutral white paper. Right now, our (Ixiasoft/s) tech writers are alrady dcumenting how to update to 1.3 on Ixiasoft.
Amber; it's good for the TC to specify what questions all vendors need to answer, other questions are specific to your product.
Keith; but many vendors provide an 'ecosystem'. this might really be DITA 1.3 for small teams.
Kris; this is not for small teams; it's germane to many DITA users.
Nancy; with some supplementation, wrt pre-1.3 features, it also can be ueful to potential new users of DITA.
Kris; volunteers to help with this?
Nancy, Amber, Robert
ActionItem; Kris will kick off a working group on this

7. Continuing item: DITA 1.3 errata
New e-mail:
Weak and Strong Constraints Section Seems Misplaced
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201604/msg00003.html (Kimber, 11 April 2016)
Eliot gave overview; in looking for material on strong/weak constraints, he didn't find info where he expected,but someplace else instead, with no linking between. We need at least a cross ref from conref to section on strong and weak constraints.
Kris; this is clearly a 1.3 errata item. Do we move the topic to a better place, or implement a xref fromwhere it should be to where it is?
Eliot; an xref is the simplest solution
Bob; I see merits in both views.
Robert; even though it relates to Eliot's area, it's really part of constraints. But an xref should b added.
Tom; do we need change bars or a list of changes if we do this?
Kris; I don't know if either is required by OASIS, but we definitely need to do it.
Tom; do we need's Bob's help to get the PDF formatting right?
Kris; we can get a lot of change tracking from the current style sheets; if there's a title change, we might need something.
Eliot; i implemented a plugin that extends change bar support, so that if entire topic is changed, you can get it shown in the TOC.
ActionItem; Robert will add item for 'adding a xref to strong/weak constraints' to errata

Volunteer to be project manager? Brainstorm list of tasks a project manager would perform.

11:59 PM ET Close

-- Ms. Nancy Harrison
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 12 April 2016

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Ms. Nancy Harrison
Group: OASIS Darwin Information Typing Architecture (DITA) TC
Folder: Meeting Notes
Date submitted: 2016-04-12 13:01:01

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]