Subject: FW: OASIS Jira for DITA TC use?

FYI. There is a lot of great information here. Please review the attached documents and review the queue https://issues.oasis-open.org/browse/DITA/).

Thanks and best regards,

--Scott

Scott Hudson
Content Strategist

Training & Documentation
Global Services & Support

line

Jeppesen  |  Digital Aviation  |  Boeing

Jeppesen email: scott.hudson@jeppesen.com
55 Inverness Drive East
| Englewood, CO 80112 | www.jeppesen.com

From: Chet Ensign [mailto:chet.ensign@oasis-open.org]
Sent: Friday, May 20, 2016 8:40 AM
To: Scott Hudson
Subject: Re: OASIS Jira for DITA TC use?

Hi Scott,

Thanks for asking. Glad to help you look into this.

First, as noted, the DITA TC does have a JIRA project in place. See https://issues.oasis-open.org/browse/DITA/. Every member of the TC can access it and open issues, comment on issues, etc.

JIRA may not be the best issue tracking system in the world but honestly if I did not have JIRA, TC Admin would collapse. Whenever you enter one of the support tickets for ballots, public reviews, etc. it opens a JIRA ticket for me and that becomes both my work queue, my priority list and my history.

A few TCs are really using JIRA well to track work on their specifications and it helps them for the same reason. As one TC Chair put it "People can talk and talk and talk but until it is listed in JIRA, it isn't real." For example, have a look at TOSCA -> https://issues.oasis-open.org/browse/TOSCA/?selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin:issues-panel. Another is CAMP -> https://issues.oasis-open.org/browse/CAMP/. Also OData -> https://issues.oasis-open.org/browse/ODATA/

They define components for each different work product they are developing so that they can tie issues to their projected release. And they define versions so that they can track issues to stages - e.g. we're addressing this one in CSD01, this in CSD02 - other TCs have used those to track comments from public reviews as well. Obviously they assign issues to TC members. And then they use the JIRA link to put issues on their upcoming agendas, discuss them in meetings, and ultimately vote to resolve them - close them as completed or etc. You'll see in minutes votes to close JIRA x, y and z.

The way I've seen work best is that someone presents a topic to the TC for discussion. If the TC agrees that the issue warrants consideration, then it is entered into JIRA as New with the person raising it generally the Reporter. When the TC makes the decision to actually work on it, then it gets assigned to someone - usually the person who brought it forward, and Opened. Once it is Open, it is 'real.' Once they believe they have a solution to present they mark it as Resolved. Then finally when the TC approves the solution and the update is made to the working draft, the issue is closed.

I've attached a few documents on using JIRA for standards development that will give a bit more detail.

If you'd like to talk more about this or talk to one of the chairs about how they use it for their standards dev, let me know. I'll help out as much as I can. Obviously I'm a fan. Of JIRA and DITA both...

/chet