Subject: Re: [dita] DITA 2.0: How might we reorganize (reformulate?) the spec for DITA 2.0

I wanted to follow up on the discussion from Tuesday, specifically regarding the suggestion that (I'm pretty sure) came from Chris Nitchie.

The suggestion there was about changing how we think about and publish the spec. Rather than using a hard-to-define separation of "Architectural spec" versus "Language spec", much of our content could be organized much more logically into Processing and Grammar.

As I said on the call, I really like that idea. Kris and I found during 1.3 editing that it could be very difficult to make a distinction between what was "Architecture" versus what was "Language". That difficulty doesn't entirely go away with Processing and Grammar, but I think those groupings go a long way to helping us better organize the content. That said - those two distinctions don't cover everything in the specification. I expect that if we make that sort of reorganization, we'll end up with several better focused sections.

I can think of a few good candidates for other major sections of a 2.0 spec, based on sub-sections of the current architectural specification:
- Addressing
- Specialiazation and modularity
- Grammar file construction

Are there any suggestions for additional types of content that exist in the spec (and should continue to exist)? Alternatively, do any of the sections I've listed seem like the wrong direction?

Regards,

Robert D. Anderson
DITA-OT lead and Co-editor DITA 1.3 specification,
Digital Services Group

E-mail: robander@us.ibm.com
Digital Services Group
11501 BURNET RD,, TX, 78758-3400, AUSTIN, USA

Inactive hide details for Kristen James Eberlein ---09/06/2016 09:57:56 AM---DITA 1.0: Separate architectural spec and languageKristen James Eberlein ---09/06/2016 09:57:56 AM---DITA 1.0: Separate architectural spec and language reference DITA 1.1: " "