It's great to get your attention here. I'll answer your questions
here as best as I can.
Yes, LwDITA will go through TC processes:
- Approval to go forward as a TC effort -- That's not a given.
LwDITA has originally a DITA 1.3 proposal, but it only went
through the first stage. So, we need to approve it as a TC goal.
- Development of a LwDITA spec and grammar files
- TC reviews using DITAweb
- TC and OASIS release processes
(There is no way for subcommittee to "release" work; they are
working groups for the TC.)
I'm not sure what your question -- "Will there be parallel
activity in the sub-committee going forward" -- means, so I'm
going to leave it alone.
There are several purposes for the committee note:
- To raise awareness of LwDITA and its implications for the TC
among TC members. Given your response, I think it's being
- To release some official information about LwDITA to the DITA
community. That's not something that's been done so far,
although SC members have done conference sessions and authored
an article in Technical Communication (journal of STC).
- To get SC members to clearly identify questions that need to
be answered and areas that need work.
- To get folks moving towards the activity of spec authoring :)
Timing -- My opinion is that it should be released before
DITA 2.0. (Ideally, as soon as can be.)
Things that you -- and all TC members -- should do:
- Consider whether the design of LwDITA is good.
- Assess areas where the LwDITA design needs to change to align
with DITA 1.3 or plans for DITA 2.0.
- An example: An earlier design called for @outputclass being
present on an element where it is not in DITA 1.3. I nixed
that, saying bluntly that the TC had no plans for a DITA 1.4.
(I stand by my usual statement that DITA 1.4 will be released
only over my dead body.)
- Keep LwDITA in mind as we design DITA 2.0.
- For example, we'll have to have multimedia elements that
align with what was released with LwDITA. Obviously then, this
gives us a lot of interest in the design of the multimedia
elements for LwDITA.
For you and other TC members that are implementers:
Yes, we absolutely need your assessment of ease of
implementation. One of the goals of LwDITA is to make adoption
easier for both content developers AND tools developers. Me, I'm
hoping that it will lead to development of some new, inexpensive
tooling for folks dipping new toes in the DITA swimming pool.
Kristen James Eberlein
Chair, OASIS DITA Technical Committee
Principal consultant, Eberlein Consulting
+1 919 682-2290; kriseberlein (skype)
On 12/22/2016 8:24 PM, Jim Tivy wrote:
Light weight DITA looks pretty cool.
However, I am wondering what the frame of reference for
reviewing it in the DITA TC is.
I realize some of these things have been
stated but just want to be sure.
Is it correct to assume the LWDita spec
will go through a TC review and TC release process.
Will there be parallel activity in the
sub-committee going forward.
What is the timing for release of LWDita.
Is the first release going to be part of 2.0?
Is there – will there be - a LWDita draft
Spec and what is the purpose (audience, objectives) of the
Going forward would it be fair to assume I
should focus on:
1. As an implementer and tool vendor check
if the LWDITA spec/notes are sufficient to implement.
2. Comment on features and seek
clarification where necessary.
3. Anything else?