OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

dita message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 20 December 2016 uploaded

Submitter's message
1. Bob will send out a summary of the Denver listening session.
2. All TC members look at Kris's translation of iiRDS slides from tcworld.
3. Keith & Stan will research possibility of companies getting R&D tax credit for work done by employees on DITA standard
4. Stan will look into DITA participation in Google Summer of Code 2017

Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 20 December 2016
Recorded by Nancy Harrison
link to agenda for this meeting:

1. Roll call
Regrets: Tom Magliery, Robert Anderson

2. Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201612/msg00075.html (Nancy Harrison, 06 December 2016)
moved by Kris, seconded by Dawn, approved by TC

3. Announcements:
New DITA TC members: None

4. Action items
23 August 2016:
Joe / Kris: Get TC instance of DITAweb updated with 1.3 DTDs; restore sync with SVN (IN PROGRESS)
6 September 2016
Kris: Revise subject scheme example topic pulled from errata 01
4 October 2016:
Tom: Work on aggregated minutes for 2005-2011 (IN PROGRESS)
18 October 2016:
Eliot: Restore DITA 1.x identifiers to catalog files (Moved to errata 02)
25 October 2016
Deb: Develop FAQ for folks new to DITA TC (IN PROGRESS)
1 November
Kris: Request that the Help SC be closed (COMPLETED)
Nancy: Update SC page with link to help guide before we request the subcommittee be closed (COMPLETED)

5. Continuing item: DITA 1.3 Errata 01
Announcement of public review, 6-20 October 2016
Comment resolution log for public review
Link to most recent package: https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201612/msg00090.html
Update on progress

6. Continuing item: Work on committee notes
- Update to "Why Three Editions" (on hold to align with release of errata 01)
- "Upgrading to a new version of DITA" (on hold indefinitely)
- "DITA and the DITA Open Toolkit"
- "Lightweight DITA: An introduction"
[Update about call from 14 December 2016 ]
Carlos; we looked at discussion topics from the call; one of the biggest things proposed is that the proposed Committee Note (CN) draft is healthy wrt LwD formats, based on work that's already developed, but the sections on template-based specializations are not healthy, and we don't think they're ready, because the transforms we have create a DITA topic ('XDITA'), not a LwD topic. So we'll start a different committee note just on format that we'll have in January, and start a different one talking about templates
Kris; so will LwD have the new attributes that are just for the template-based spec? If so, then the CN needs to cover them.
Carlos; I think we need to keep them in.
Kris; well, the SC needs to think about that if they're planning to separate them; if the new pieces have to be in LwD, then they need to be in the first CN.
Mark; I think the direction of separating the two parts is good.
Jim; do we want to re-think LwD being a subset of DITA 2.0, not just a profile? We would need to discuss the infoset.
Kris; I think everyone wants LwD to be a subset of 2.0, so we care a lot about new elements/@s. They fall into 2 sets, one set to have good mappings to HTML5, and the other for template-based specialization.
Jim; yes, the template-based specialization @s would be a problem.
Kris; the other stuff that goes into LwD would simply have to be a correct domain specialization. We need to be thinking less about LwD, and more about tooling. I would hope that any DITA-aware tooling could easily accommodate LwD; potentially, people will be able to build tools just around LwD that don't work with full DITA.
Jim; there's the issue of Leigh's 'iceberg' and stepwise complexity; we want to start with a small core and extend it. so there's a continuum.
Kris; we won't be able to build 2.0 around an LwD kernel, though I'd defer to Robert, Chris, and Eliot on that
Jim; no, I didn't think that
Kris; before we approve LwD, we need to be absolutely sure it will play nicely with regular DITA.
Jim; that's my main interest also.

7. Continuing item: Git/GitHub repos for TC work
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201610/msg00038.html (Eberlein, 10 October 2016)
Kris; we want to open a separate repo for stylesheets. The purpose is to develop and store our stylesheets; we want to have it open in case we have non-OASIS members who want to contribute, and other TCs that might want to use them, as well as for the white papers for adoption TC.
Kris; moved to open repo, seconded by Bob, approved by TC
[in order to ask, have to provide link to minutes]
Mark; and LwD needs an official repo
Kris; we need the minutes from the last LwD call, where that was proposed, we're waiting for the minutes on that.

8. Continuing item: Listening sessions
Denver, CO -- happened last week
Bob; it was well-attended; about 7-8 companies represented; Kathy Madison did a fairly good summary, I can send it to TC.
Keith; for the record, it was Oct 2, and there were about 20 in attendance.
Kris; it would be good if you could post a link to her summary in Kavi and attach it for non Adoption TC members.
ActionItem; Bob; will send out summary
Portland, OR -- next week (Wednesday 16 Nov)
Nancy; had to move this to January; a post-election demonstration got in the way...
Research Triangle Park, NC
Austin, TX
Seattle, WA
Scott; Seattle will be Jan 24th; the message will be posted to STC website and Adoption TC wiki. They also would like one in Bellevue, WA as well.
Dawn; I can send you contacts for Kirkland, WA (near Bellevue).
Scott; I can go to Bellevue.
Nancy; you can also also publicize it on dita-users list.
Keith; also the linkedin DITA Awareness list
Kris; maybe also techwrl list as well.
Keith; also send out a tweet.

9. New item: tcworld iiRDS slides (English translation)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201612/msg00048.html (Eberlein, 07 December 2016)
Kris; please take a look; I did a translation of tekom German slides; should probably have a tekom member come and talk to us about the effort as well in the new year.

10. Tightening loose content models to facilitate authoring
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201612/msg00022.html (Thomas, 02 December 2016)

11. New item: Thoughts about long-term health of the DITA TC
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201612/msg00098.html (Eberlein, 20 December 2016)
Kris; this touches on issues we keep coming back to. should we think about it now, or early next year? Real issue of not enough people with really deep knowledge, e.g. from vendors, on the TC.
Maria; one issue is the lack of training; it's hard to get the deep knowledge, we mostly get on-the-job training.
Dawn; I agree; is there a way amongst us that we could create some level of training from the people who are considered experts, either a recording, or using L&T to create some training?
Eliot; it's always been my plan to create that kind of training; the problem is that it's been impossible for me to bootstrap that business.
Dawn; we have some of that training; don't know if it's as technical as it needs to get.
Kris; I volunteered to do some subjectscheme items training, and ran into time/bandwidth issue; I need to get paid. some of the education/training, problem is really with edge cases; that requires deep understanding of how all the pieces (keys, keyscopes, subjectschemes) play together. So we need people with deep experience in putting those things together.
Chris; the market that we play in doesn't have any money; it would be easier if we were like HTML, where the 'market chases the spec'. Our market is just too small, so money is hard to come by.
Kris; I have to agree with that; so will LwD bring us more market/$$, or are we at a point of needing to husband our resources for a zero-sum game??? I don't think we'll manage to move forward without making some changes. I myself can afford to continue with my time as I have for no more than 6-8 hrs/wk.
Deb; our companies want us to get something from serving on this committe, not just serve on it.
Kris; I'm not sure how to answer that.
Jim; there's still a lot of work to do, and it's important to have key individuals involved.
Carlos; one thing I could do is apply for a grant to expand the work, if we can propose something to get a grant; nothing is guaranteed. but something we should explore.
Kris; I did the same show as this at DITA OT day; do we want to think about having a non-profit, or become a conduit for such a thing? But that too takes a tremendous effort to set up and run.
Carlos; so would you like an intern? I have some who could help.
Kris; I'll think about that, some work can't be done by interns.
Kris; one possibility is get more non-voting TC members to participate; then get other OASIS members, then non-current-Oasis members
Keith; wonder if time/effort contributed to this can be considered part of an R&D credit. I think it can in Canada.
Kris; I don't know if such a thing exists in the US
Eliot; 20 years ago, the company I worked for (in the US) got a credit for work I did on a standard.
Kris; can someone look into this?
Keith; I'll research it.
Stan; we have forms every months about this; I'll look into it too.
ActionItem: Keith and Stan will look into this.
Eliot; I'm still thinking about Carlos and his interns proposal; there are certainly DITA-related projects that could use cheap labor.
Keith; Nolwenn Kerzreho has offered some students to work on French translation.
Kris; the main thing about supervising interns is that there's time involved in supervising, and there needs to be a learning component in it for them. It can be hard to do. I'm all for this, but it's not free work.
Carlos; I'll draft something during the spring and recruit.
Stan; What about trying to get someone thru annual Google 'Summmer of Code'? They do pay people to work on your project.
Kris; can you provide me with info on that?
Stan; will do
Kris; if anyone has strong connections with other universities, please talk to me.

11:59 AM ET close

-- Ms. Nancy Harrison
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 20 December 2016

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Ms. Nancy Harrison
Group: OASIS Darwin Information Typing Architecture (DITA) TC
Folder: Meeting Notes
Date submitted: 2016-12-29 10:44:59

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]