Subject: Some rambling thoughts about the domains attribute

Over time I've come to see less and less benefit + more and more pain from the domains attribute. (Not from domains themselves - repeat, not from domains themselves - just the tokens in that attribute). I think they stand out as one of those DITA things with high level of complexity, little actual benefit, and (outside of attribute domains) few or no repercussions if you mess it up.

I started writing out all the arguments I've heard in favor of the attribute, and why I think most of them are no longer reasonable. Eventually I ended up with a small book. It's way too much for an email thread, so I've posted the resulting thoughts on a blog, and am curious what people think:
http://metadita.org/toolkit/nonononodomains.html

Warning, you may want to fill up on coffee before taking a look.

Regards,

Robert D. Anderson
DITA-OT lead and Co-editor DITA 1.3 specification,
Digital Services Group

E-mail: robander@us.ibm.com
Digital Services Group
11501 BURNET RD,, TX, 78758-3400, AUSTIN, USA