Subject: Status of DITAweb for DITA TC use

Hi, Mark. (And DITA TC by cc line ...)

As I've mentioned in our Skype conversations, the DITA TC is ready to start using DITAweb again as we ramp up our work on Lightweight DITA and DITA 2.0.

Right now the major obstacles in our way are the following:

  • Our instance of DITAweb does not use the DITA 1.3 DTDs, which our content uses heavily. (Nothing fancy, no key scopes or branch filtering, just the XML mention domain and the 1.3 additions to the highlighting domain.)
  • Our sync with SVN is broken, since we restructured our directory structure. (SVN is where we store the source for our committee notes.)
  • We don't have a mechanism to sync with GitHub, where the spec source is now located.

We could get around the syncing issue by uploading ZIPs of source to DITAweb, but one of the niceties that you added for us is a script to add @id attributes to elements; without the attributes added, reviewers cannot comment on specific parts of a topic, just the topic itself.

When do you think you might be able to get to this? The Lightweight DITA subcommittee is ready now, and the DITA TC was hoping to start a review next week. (And please help me redeem my status as an effective chair; I've had this open as an action item since 23 August 2016!)

I'm also cc'ing other folks at Mekon and Congility, since they might be able to help out. We rely so heavily on using DITAweb; we would never have been able to develop and release DITA 1.3 without using it! It really is a very key application for us.

P. S. We'd also LOVE to see the latest version of DITAweb, which I understand now has a flavor that is more optimized for review.

www.eberleinconsulting.com
+1 919 682-2290; kriseberlein (skype)