OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

dita message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 21 February 2017 uploaded

Submitter's message
Lots of action items from last week's meeting:

ACTION: Kris find someone from the iiRDS working group to come to TC meeting and do presentation.
ACTION: Kris: correct error in sourc processing controlled att values
ACTION: Robert, Kris, Dick, Dawn: talk about workflow/admin practices for errata 02
ACTION: Eliot: Update the grammar files to fix allowed number of in
ACTION: Robert: Correct the content model appendix topics for / for the same.
ACTION: Robert: Robert: Correct the ditavalmeta section so the example link goes DIRECTLY to the example.
ACTION: Robert: update 2.0 proposal wiki page to point here [COMPLETED]



Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 21 February 2017
Recorded by Tom Magliery
link to agenda for this meeting:

Meeting opened: 8am Pacific time

1. Roll call
Regrets: Carsten Brennecke

2. Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201702/msg00030.html (Nancy Harrison, 14 February 2017)
Changes requested: https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201702/msg00031.html (Eberlein, 21 February 2017)

3. Announcements:
Kris will be out next week, Tom will host the meeting

4. Action items:

23 August 2016:
Kris: Get TC instance of DITAweb updated with 1.3 DTDs; restore sync with SVN (IN PROGRESS)
Working with Mekon, This should be ready to go soon

14 February 2017
Keith: Contact Jang Graat about suggested redesign of hazard statement domain
Update sent to the mailing list:

5. Continuing item: tcworld iiRDS slides (English translation)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201612/msg00048.html (Eberlein, 07 December 2016)
This is an initiative out of tekom to define standardized metdata for technical content. In Germany every CMS uses a different XML schema, trying to aggregate content for portals, industry 4.0 etc. for delivery. Each CMS member would define mapping of their metadata to iiRDS. Keith, Eliot and I met with Ulrike Parson at tcworld. Is there any interest in having someone present about this to the TC?
Keith: Definitely of interest
Tom: What impact does it have on DITA?
Kris: Ulrike thought it might be interesting to have this be part of the DITA standard. She thought tekom might not be "standardizing" it. We weren't so sure. One idea was that it would be fairly easy to develop a domain specialization that would represent the iiRDS standard. So we could help contribute that to their effort.
Keith: One example from Ulrike was a train engine, its many parts are made by different manufacturers, if you're an engineer sorting out a problem with a part, you don't want to have to go through each manual for each part, ideally you want them collected together into a document that allows you to look at all of them. iiRDS would allow manufacturers to make "topics" (if I can use that word), and the iiRDS metadata could be used to pull together information used to describe a set of working things from multiple companies.
Kris: I think they would be fine with your use of "topic". They are describing different layers at which metadata could be applied, at the document level vs. the topic level.
Eliot: I'm interested in the sense that we should keep an eye on it. I don't have constituents who care about it.
Stan: Metadata is interesting.

ACTION: Kris find someone from the iiRDS working group to come to a TC meeting and do a presentation.

Bob: One reason to be involved before they come up with a schema is to be sure the morphology of the schema is compatible with DITA constructs.
Kris: Yeah, we want to do this before they have their first public review. We could have the TC do a specialization for this, but not as part of our specification.

6. Continuing item: DITA 1.3 Errata 02

There are some items for a 2nd DITA 1.3 Errata.

Kris: All the contents of varname elements were not rendered in the PDF of Errata 01.

Model documents from OASIS: https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201612/msg00113.html
Kris - Cover page metadata did not quite meet OASIS requirements, needs some redesign.

Build process
Kris: Bob I know you have changes we need to make
Bob: I'm close to being done with PDF, getting migrated to a newer toolkit (from 1.8.5). E.g. using XSLT shell to integrate all the various modules so we don't have problems like we did with varname again
Bob: That was a template precedence issue.
Kris: For 1.3 errata 01 you put in a more complicated ...
Bob: Yeah I'm backing that out, decided naming rules for links and files are too byzantine to code
Kris: Is that happening together with reworking the style sheets?
Bob: Yes

Volunteer opportunity: Additional editor for errata document?
Kris: Looking for a volunteer primarily for errata. Anyone?
Carlos: I will volunteer
Kris: I think you've got your hands full!
Dawn: I can help
Dick: I can help too
Kris: As Bob mentioned, the cover page metadata is byzantine, it would be good to have other eyes involved

Kris: An announcement I had forgotten: I reached out to Mike Miller and asked for a license for their PDF comparison tool so we can use that in the build tool so we can catch embarrassing mistakes like this one.

NEW: Error in Processing controlled attribute values
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201702/msg00014.html (Eberlein, 6 February 2017)
Kris: This is just a minor factual error in the text to match the code sample.
Are there any questions or concerns?
Hearing none, we'll queue this up.

ACTION: Kris: correct error in source of processing controlled attribute values

NEW: Bug in ditavalref domain
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201701/msg00052.html (Anderson, 20 January 2017)
Robert: The RNG and DTD/XSD don't match what is intended, and are not technically a valid specialization because they allow more than one topicmeta child. ditavalref should only allow one. Looking at the RNG I suspect a copy/paste issue.
Kris: What are you suggesting as a fix/errata?
Robert: The clear fix is to turn this from zero-to-many to zero-to-1. There is no valid reason to have more than one of them so there is no valid case that would break by making this change.
Kris: So fix the grammar files and note in the errata that the grammar files have been fixed.
Kris: This is probably a normative change but it's nonsensical not to make the change
Eliot: If the specification doesn't conform to itself I think we are obligated to fix it
Robert: Yes, the spec is technically broken
Eric: We have clients who want multiple ditavalref
Robert: That's ok, the problem is with multiple ditavalmeta

ACTION: Robert, Kris, Dick, Dawn: talk about workflow/admin practices for errata 02

Robert: That will cover HOW we track these. In terms of work someone will need to update the grammar files (Eliot)
Eliot: Sure
Robert: Also we need to correct the content model appendix topics

ACTIONS: Robert and Eliot for those two things

NEW: ditavalmeta example section
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201701/msg00053.html (Anderson, 20 January 2017)
Robert: This is truly trivia, but why not. Need to correct the ditavalmeta section so the example link goes DIRECTLY to the example.
Kris: any objections?
(Heard none)

ACTION: Robert to implement that

Restore DITA 1.x identifiers to catalog files (COMPLETED?)

Eliot: What about this one?
Kris: I know this has been done, but it hasn't been tracked in the errata document yet

[The following items were not addressed in this meeting.]
Error in index-see-also (COMPLETED)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201612/msg00068.html (Eberlein, 10 December 2016)
Error in example for indexterm (COMPLETED)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201612/msg00069.html (Eberlein, 10 December 2016)
Error in 3.4.2 Indexing group elements (COMPLETED)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201612/msg00070.html (Eberlein, 10 December 2016)
Confusion in 3.7.5 index-base (COMPLETED)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201612/msg00071.html (Eberlein, 10 December 2016)

7.Continuing item: Formal work on DITA 2.0
Project page at the GitHub repo: https://github.com/oasis-tcs/dita/projects/2
Report back from small group (Kris, Robert, Tom, Maria) revising process:

Kris: We continued working on changes/updates to the proposal process for 2.0. We are going to suggest storing proposals in SVN instead of Kavi for better version control. Also we are looking at changes to the templates e.g. to require information about backwards compatibility, and the migration strategy. We talked about limiting the number of proposals any one person can have in stage 2 and 3 to no more than 3 at a time. Rationale is to spread the workload around and avoid having a single person be a bottleneck.
Eliot: Is that the "Eliot Rule"?
Robert: If you'd like to call it that. ;-)
Kris: We're looking at a substantial redesign for the spec; we will want to have a small group work on spec design in the near future so we can have the fundamental spec redesign laid out and in place before we start developing stage 3 proposals
Expect to hear more on this in next week's TC meeting or two weeks from now

Review of cards on project page
Kris: Everyone please go to project page
Kris: Robert I'm going to move hazardstatement design into Stage One
Kris: As a small group of us worked through the 1.3 proposal process we noticed a change we forgot that we want to implement for 2.0. Going forward we want a rule that stage 1 proposals must be discussed at one meeting and then are moved to stage 2 at a subsequent TC meeting.

Kris: The small group should consider whether we want to push meeting-minute approval out by one extra week in general to allow people more time.

Kris: Robert let's start on clearing out the backlog (from the bottom)
Robert: Bringing consistency in the URI/keyref format for referencing maps/topics. I don't know of a way we could do this.
Kris: We expressly decided not to do this in 1.3
Robert: Even changing the rule about keys doesn't address the URI aspect of it. We would have to make IDs unique within a *doument* not a topic
Kris: I suggest unless anyone else has concerns, we remove this from backlog
Kris: Any objections?
Kris: Ok, we will remove this one from the backlog

Eric: Are we still using the wiki page on 2.0 items?
Robert: We should point that wiki page to here

ACTION: Robert: update 2.0 proposal wiki page to point here

Robert: next ITEM, deprecate less-freuqently-used values for the type attribute for
Robert: Who uses any of these attribute values?
[Eventually every item got spoken for by someone]
Kris: We have people on the call using ALL of these values
Kris: Should we do a survey
Tom: Do we want to do that much work?
Robert: Best case we probably remove one of 8 or 9 values. Is it that annoying?
Bob: There's a lot of downside and not enough upside
Chris: There's an attraction to me to having DITA 2.0 be clean
Don: In the big scheme of things who will thank us for this?
Kris: Do we have a larger proposal for cleanup of the type attribute?
Don: It's fairly hard to clean that up beause the nature of the type attr is not to define a single taxonomy within the overall architecture but to provide taxonomies as needed. I don't see it as overloaded, it's appropriate from a programming standpoint. In the writing we need to keep the distinction in mind. The only change we could possibly do is call it something besides type. But would we do that for all the other cases?
Robert: This may be overcompicating. I think that's a separate issue, doesn't need to be part of this current discussion
Kris: I suggest we table that for now.
Tom: I'm willing to take this on as "deprecate fastpath value for note/type attribute"
Kris: Does that work for everyone?
Robert: I've moved it

Meeting closed at 9am Pacific time

-- Mr. Tom Magliery
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 21 February 2017

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Mr. Tom Magliery
Group: OASIS Darwin Information Typing Architecture (DITA) TC
Folder: Meeting Notes
Date submitted: 2017-02-27 10:23:18

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]