Subject: Re: [dita] Use of term "DITA" outside OASIS?

I had a brief back and forth with the company founder about the post on LinkedIn which was encouraging

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6268341889850843136/

Michael Priestley, Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
Enterprise Content Technology Strategist
mpriestl@ca.ibm.com

From:        Jang <jang@jang.nl>
To:        Alan Houser <arh@groupwellesley.com>
Cc:        DITA Technical Committee <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date:        05/15/2017 10:03 AM
Sent by:        <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>

Hi Alan and other TC colleagues,

I do not think there is any way in which OASIS can prevent the (ab)use of DITA in any kind of publication, especially when it is blog posts. DITA is not a registered trademark (or maybe it is, but then it refers to sun glasses, hockey sticks or a burlesque lady we all know). I also think that this is not a problem at all, and we should not be too worried about this blog post.

If “Open DITA” would be formally proposed as a standard within OASIS, it could easily be shot down, and if a competing standards body is adopting a group that works on a standard with that name, OASIS would have to use its liaisons with the competing standards body to get them to refuse hosting the initiators. These measures by OASIS will very probably not be required at all, as this idea will not gain much traction with anyone who knows enough about DITA to become actively involved in (re)defining standards.

And so it becomes a fairly harmless blog post by a company (or an individual in a company), in an attempt to catch the attention of DITA newbies. What we can do as DITA professionals is post reactions. Let DITA newbies know why you cannot simply dilute DITA with other stuff without rendering it useless for what it is supposed to do.

The suggestion to allow DOCX mixed in with DITA is ridiculous in the light of trying to reduce DITA complexity. Anyone who has ever opened up this (ar any) can of worms created by Microsoft knows that DITA is a breeze compared to that. But Word is very effective in hiding all the catastrophic complexity under the hood. That is a lesson to be learned and it is, in my view, the ONLY lesson we need to learn here.

The gut reaction of DITA newbies when they see naked DITA in something as simpleminded as Notepad is not to be taken at face value. It is not complexity that is the problem. If this were true, then no one would ever dare to ride a Tesla. The outcries about the supposed DITA complexity over the past years just go to show that there is work to be done on the tools that make this standard usable by mere mortals. I do understand that this is not something the TC can do, but everyone who is on the committee can find ways to support the creation of tools that hide complexity under the hood of a good GUI.

The blog post falls into the same trap that a lot of DITA newbies fall into: blaming the DITA standard for complexity, in comparison with standards that either fall short of the semantic strength (HTML) or hide their own chaos (Word). In a way, our very own Lightweight DITA initiative runs the risk of doing the same. If we strongly oppose the idea of an Open DITA, we should seriously look at how different this proposal is from the Lightweight DITA proposal.

In the meantime, I choose to not spend my time worrying about obviously misled (or misleading) blog posts, but instead on creating and promoting tools that hide the inevitable complexity. In DITA, or in anything else.

Jang