Subject: DITA 2.0 stage one proposal: Remove deprecated and "Reserved for future use" items

Folks, we've taken for granted that we'll remove deprecated/reserved for future use items (elements, attributes, domains, document types) in DITA 2.0.

However, I think we need a formal proposal for this, since it involves the following:

  • Topics for the spec about migration paths
  • Changes to grammar files
  • Usability considerations -- Is there anything that we DON'T want to remove? In particular, I wonder about @navtitle, since that might effect almost every DITA map in existence.

I started to compile a list of these items, which I'll paste below. (Things that it does not contain are the deprecated L & T domain and glossary grammar files.)

Deprecated items

The following items have previously been listed in the DITA specification as deprecated.

Item Replacement
<boolean> <state>
@print @deliveryTarget
@navtitle <navtitle>
@longdescref <longdescref>
@query No – Declared but never defined
@role="sample" or @role="external" No – Deprecated since DITA 1.0; reason was compatibility with DeveloperWorks DITA.
@type="internal" on <lq> @scope and @format on <lq>
@type="external" on <lq> @scope and @format on <lq>
@id on <resourceid> @appid on <resourceid>. Not a case of things being removed where documents might be broken.

Reserved for future use

The following items have previously been listed in the DITA specification as "Reserved for future use" or "Unintentionally defined."

Item Replacement
<indextermref> None
@collection-type on <reltable> and <relcolspec> None
@refcols None