Subject: Content model for <ph> in LwDITA

This one might require a bit of discussion - I know how I'd prefer to resolve but not sure what the TC or LwDITA group would suggest.

The <ph> element has a different content model in maps and in topics.

Topic model:
(#PCDATA | ph | b | i | u | sup | sub | image | xref | data)*
Map model:
(#PCDATA | ph | b | i | u | sup | sub)*

We should add <data> into the content models in maps, because <data> is already part of maps and we should keep these models as much alike as we can.

Maps do not currently allow <xref> or <image> so it's not currently possible to add them. I just want to note that this kind of quirk in DITA 1.0 and 1.1 occasionally caused minor trouble/frustration in authoring environments (copy/paste didn't work) and in tools (pulling a phrase into maps could result in bad content). If we do make the content models equal, it doesn't involve any new LwDITA elements, but it does mean adding 3 elements (image, alt, and xref) into maps.

The same issue applies to all of the phrase specializations that appear in both maps and topics: b, i, sub, sup, u.
Regards,

Robert D. Anderson
DITA-OT lead and Co-editor DITA 1.3 specification,
Digital Services Group

E-mail: robander@us.ibm.com
Digital Services Group
11501 BURNET RD,, TX, 78758-3400, AUSTIN, USA