Subject: Re: [dita] Review of Lightweight DITA

Dear Dawn and all,

I think your questions are highly valid, and if the committee note did not persuade you to embrace LwDITA, then it is our rhetorical fault and we have to strengthen the topics that explain LwDITA's audiences and purposes.

To a degree, there is plenty of Information Typing (IT) in LwDITA. The lw-topic is a valid information type and small companies (or even teams of one or two writers) can create their structures without DITA constraints. That sounds like a blasphemy opening the door to spaghetti paragraphs and lists... but isn't that already allowed in DITA through specialization? Sure, the spaghetti becomes constrained and more structured, but team X's specialized topic can be as messy (or as efficient for their unique purposes) as team Y's lw-topic.

And here we are going for audiences that, let's be honest, would not adopt DITA's semantic tags for many reasons. Maybe they are web writers comfortable with HTML but scared or unfamiliar when it comes to XML. Maybe they are developers who write in Markdown but want to take advantage of DITA's reuse and publishing features but do not need semantic tags. Maybe they are non-English-speaking authors who can be comfortable in a reduced semantic soup of English words and terms.

You mention that semantic tagging has been an entire educational process, and that is true indeed. However, how about those users who can be taught to see the DITA-like structures without needing the training wheels that come with XML tags? Again, these will be authors in very small teams or departments that do not need serious structural enforcement, but can benefit from many aspects of DITA. In many courses, I start teaching those rhetorical commonplaces of genre or type before we even see any XML tags. It works for many students. Of course, expecting that a tech writer who has been doing things a certain way for 20 years will suddenly change without the restrictions of DITA 1.3 is a bad idea... but then again 1.3 is not going away and 2.0 is coming soon.... ish.

Best,

Carlos

--
Carlos Evia, Ph.D.
Director of Professional and Technical Writing