Subject: Improving variable content in 2.0

The current method for creating content variables is to use a keyword construct. (https://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/dita/v1.3/os/part1-base/archSpec/base/example-key-definition-for-variable-text.html )

For example:

  <keydef keys="productname">
    <topicmeta>
      <keywords>
        <keyword audience="GA">ProductA</keyword>

        <keyword audience="BA">ProductB</keyword>

        <keyword audience="CA">ProductC</keyword>
      </keywords>
    </topicmeta>
  </keydef>

Unfortunately, keyword is not allowed in many content models, so you cannot use variables in many cases. Here's an example use case:

We have product names that are stored as variables (in case Marketing changes the name during development and due to product variants), which we express in DITA using <keyword> keys. Several of our user interfaces use the product name as part of the interface area, which should be tagged with wintitle.

Right now, we have no way of marking the following:

For DITA 2.0, I'd like to propose a more globally applicable method for including variable content, perhaps based on <ph> or <text>.

Thanks and best regards,

--Scott

Scott Hudson
Content Strategist

Digital Aviation Learning & Development

Voting member:

Boeing Data Standards Technical Advisory Board

OASIS DocBook TC, Publishers SC (Chair)

OASIS DITA TC, Tech Comm SC, LW DITA SC, Learning Content SC (Secretary)

OASIS DITA Adoption TC

OASIS Augmented Reality in Information Products (ARIP) TC

Jeppesen  |  Digital Aviation  |  Boeing
extension: 556228 | phone: 303.328.6228 | mobile: 303.350.7934

Jeppesen email: scott.hudson@jeppesen.com
55 Inverness Drive East
Englewood, CO 80112 | www.jeppesen.com

This document contains only administrative, uncontrolled data under U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations.