Subject: Re: [dita-lightweight-dita] DRAFT-19 Feedback

Stan, thanks you doing such a careful and critical reading. A few comments about the substantive points:

  • Yes, XDITA will be a subset of DITA 1.3 plus the new multimedia domain. (How I wish that we had introduced the multimedia domain in 1.3 ...)
  • Other points hinge around what claims we make for compatibility and interoperability, with the additional messiness of the multiple formats (XDITA, MDITA, and HDITA).
  • And regarding your final point:

    "Probably my real question runs, "Is LwDITA another XML silo that is functionally incompatible with DocBook, DITA 1.3, or DITA 2.0?" If I have a significant investment in DocBook, DITA 1.3, or DITA 2.0, do I need to abandon that investment when I implement a project in LwDITA? All four of these "products" are from OASIS. Honestly -- if I were a MadCap or Confluence marketing hack, documenting how OASIS produced four, incompatible XML solutions that address the same market is all that I would need to make my quarterly sales targets for a few years. Even if we cannot do anything about the incompatibility, we should consider being up front about it."

I don't think we can anything about compatibility or interoperability with DocBook. But the plan is for XDITA to be a valid subset of DITA 1.3 and DITA 2.0; by valid subset, I mean that authors could copy-and-paste content from an XDITA map to a DITA 1.3 or DITA 2.0 map, or from an XDITA topic to a DITA 1.3 or DITA 2.0 topic. Obviously, the authoring and publishing environment will need to have the appropriate grammar files installed.

www.eberleinconsulting.com
+1 919 682-2290; kriseberlein (skype)