Subject: Re: [dita] Feedback about "Lightweight DITA: An Introduction" change-marked draft

Based on conversations with Carlos Evia, Alan Houser, and Robert Anderson, I made revisions to the LwDITA committee note.

Alan or others, can you do a sanity check?

Tom, your e-mail hit the list after I'd done the rework. I think "markup structures" is a better (and more accurate) way to refer to "LwDITA components".

www.eberleinconsulting.com
+1 919 682-2290; kriseberlein (skype)

On 1/18/2018 2:38 PM, Robert D Anderson wrote:

Regarding this comment from Kris:
> I think changing instances of the word "elements" to "components" makes this document read VERY strangely. I am not on-board with this change, especially when the references are to XDITA or XDITA.

I assume that was meant to say XDITA or HDITA, which both have elements. But beyond that ... I think I have to agree that while "components" sounds accurate conceptually, when I read it in context, it's kind of jarring. That's especially true where we refer to "a subset of components in DITA 1.3" and I thought DITA 1.3 components were literally the different packages + grammar zip -- see the usage under "Additional artifacts":
http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/dita/v1.3/errata01/os/complete/part1-base/dita-v1.3-errata01-os-part1-base-complete.html

There are a few other uses -- our terminology topic lays out terms that "define components of the DITA standard". There's an actual element named <component>. Almost all remaining uses in the spec are part of examples, mostly for the delayed-conref-resolution domain. There is only one other instance I can find that seems more in line with the usage in the committee note, in the topic about single sourcing, which refers to "document components including paragraphs, lists, and tables":
http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/dita/v1.3/errata01/os/complete/part1-base/archSpec/base/single-sourcing.html#single_sourcing

Regards,

Robert D. Anderson
DITA-OT lead and Co-editor DITA 1.3 specification,
Digital Services Group

E-mail: robander@us.ibm.com
Digital Services Group
11501 BURNET RD,, TX, 78758-3400, AUSTIN, USA

Inactive hide details for Kristen James Eberlein
          ---01/18/2018 01:21:58 PM---The subtitle should be
          "Committee Note 01" The datKristen James Eberlein ---01/18/2018 01:21:58 PM---The subtitle should be "Committee Note 01" The date needs to be the date on which the TC will vote o