Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 13 February 2018 uploaded

Submitter's message
ActionItems:
1. Bob and Kris will work on fixing stylesheets for Errata02 to meet OASIS formatting issues.
2. Nancy will post to dita-users wrt removing @navtitle in 2.0
3. Keith will post to DITA Awareness group wrt removing @navtitle in 2.0

Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 13 February 2018
Recorded by Nancy Harrison
link to agenda for this meeting:
https://wiki.OASIS-open.org/dita/PreviousAgendas

Attendance:
Robert Anderson, Deb Bissantz, Carsten Brennecke, Bill Burns, Stan Doherty, Kris Eberlein, Carlos Evia, Richard Hamilton, Nancy Harrison, Alan Hauser, Scott Hudson, Eliot Kimber, Tom Magliery, Chris Nitchie, Keith Schenglie-Roberts, Eric Sirois, Dawn Stevens, Bob Thomas, Don Day, Maria Essig, Amber Swope

Business
========
1. Roll call
Regrets: none

2. Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
06 February 2018:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201802/msg00035.html (Harrison, 07 February 2018)
moved by Kris, 2nd by Scott, approved by TC

3. Announcements:
New TC members: None

4. Action items
Kris: Revise subject scheme example topic pulled from errata 01
19 September 2017:
Kris and Robert: Draft response to Radu's blog post and e-mail to dita-comment
09 January 2018:
Chris: E-mail about adding new vocabulary element for inclusion of external XML; confer with Robert and Eliot (IN PROGRESS)
Alan: Stage two proposal for issue #73: Remove delayed conref domain from DITA 2.0 (COMPLETED)
Anderson: Stage two proposals for issue #18: Make audience, platform, product, otherprops into specializations
[no change on any items at meeting]

5. "LwDITA: An Introduction" committee note
New package: https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/document.php?document_id=62491&referring_url=%2Fkws

Kris moved, and Scott seconded, both of the following motions:

1) Motion: I move that the TC approve "LightweightDITA: An Introduction" and all associated artifacts packaged together in https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/document.php?document_id=62491&referring_url=%2Fkws as Committee Note Draft 02 and designate the HTML version of the note as authoritative.
Results:
Approve: Robert Anderson, Deb Bissantz, Carsten Brennecke, Bill Burns, Stan Doherty, Kris Eberlein, Carlos Evia, Richard Hamilton, Nancy Harrison, Alan Hauser, Scott Hudson, Eliot Kimber, Tom Magliery, Chris Nitchie, Keith Schenglie-Roberts, Eric Sirois, Dawn Stevens, Bob Thomas
No: 0
Approved by TC [unamimously]

2) Motion: I move that the TC approve submitting "Lightweight DITA: An Introduction," Committee Note Draft 02, contained in https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/document.php?document_id=62491&referring_url=%2Fkws for a 15 days public review.
Results:
Approve: Robert Anderson, Deb Bissantz, Carsten Brennecke, Bill Burns, Stan Doherty, Kris Eberlein, Carlos Evia, Richard Hamilton, Nancy Harrison, Alan Hauser, Scott Hudson, Eliot Kimber, Tom Magliery, Chris Nitchie, Keith Schenglie-Roberts, Eric Sirois, Dawn Stevens, Bob Thomas
No: 0
Approved by TC [unamimously]

6. DITA 1.3 Errata 02
Wiki page for DITA 1.3 Errata 02
Update:
TC admin provided list of cover page corrections on 06 February 2018
Source changed implemented:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201802/msg00036.html (Eberlein, 09 Feb 2018)
Style sheet changes needed:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201802/msg00040.html (Eberlein, 13 Feb 2018)
Schedule
https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/DITA-1.3-errata-02-schedule
- Kris; I implemented all the changes I could fix in the source, now running into conflicts betwen source, stylesheets, and OASIS requirements for change marks, etc., on cover. Bob, can we get together this week to work on this?
- Bob; I want to pull out of style sheets as much as I can, and put that kind of ever-changing content into keys.
- Kris; the OASIS naming things are constantly changing, and it makes it hard to keep up...
- Bob; yeah, it would be better to put it into source files, not stylesheets.
***ActionItem: Bob and Kris will work on this.

7. DITA 2.0 stage two proposals: Initial discussion
https://github.com/oasis-tcs/dita/projects/2
a. Issue #85: Add ph element to certain glossentry elements
https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/download.php/62450/Issue85-AddSupSubToGlossElements.html (Hudson, 5 February 2018))
Scott gave overview [see proposal at link above for details]
Robert; one clarification; wrt needing a constraint, if someone doesn't want programoing elements, they probably already have a constraint to remove them, so this only affects shells shipped with OASIS.
- Kris; btw, the proposal doesn't mention other highlighting domain elements, (b, i, etc,); you won't get the ones you want without those as well.
- Scott; we'd already constrained those out, so I forgot about them; will add info about them.
- Eliot; one potential issue; by allowing ph, you're also allowing things allowable within ph, like xrefs. So if your processor doesn't expect to deal with an abbrev form with an e,g,m ab xref, it will now have to deal with that.
- Kris; I'd suggest adding to the proposal 1) the other highlighting elements, and 2) point Eliot raises. For 2.0 we want to be much more careful about the shells we ship, and there might be a bunch of work in the migration guide to discuss implementing constraints for these six elements.
- Robert; but it isn't a big deal for me. This kind of thing shows up all over the place already; I think that dropping domains is the easiest way to get things out of there. And wrt migration guide, we don't want to provide the exact constraints for e.g. this is how to get back to 1.3. That would imply we need to do this for every 2.0 change. Instead, we should just put a pointer to constraint docs.
- Kris; I don't want exact directions, but for each proposal, we want to know what will go in the migration guide. In any case, that guide will be a significant piece of work, and it's all new work.
- Tom; my question wrt the migration guide; there will need to be xrefs from the new spec to see corresponding content in the migration guide. A lot of folks choose to author constraints in tools rather than in schemas or DTDs; do we want to mention that tools as well as DTDs / schemas will be affected?
- Scott; proposal does mention that tool vendows need to change to support the new functionality.
- Tom; that's not quite the same as saying "if your tool has a feature to hide all highlight elements, but you want superscript/subscript in your glossary, now you'll have to do something to re-enable this the highlight elements in order to get this feature. You might have to change your tools." That's the kind of thing that needs to go in the migration guide. If we have a good enough gen'l comment there, won't have to put it in each proposal.
- Kris; we might want to have a draft of entries for the migration guide; it would help us know what level of detail we need for proposals, so we're all on the same ground for what we're thinking of having in migration guide.
- Tom; agree
- Stan; I can help; there's some crossover with Adoption TC work.
- Robert; part of this prop list various compats, could be enlarged into mig guide.
- Kris; so, Scott needs to make minor changes (lists of elements and Eliot's suggestions); this will come back on agenda for a vote at next TC mtg after making changes. Can we vote or does it need to be updated first?
- Robert; we can put it on agenda for vote next week, providing changes are made.
- Kris; any other comments? [no]
[will be on next week's agenda for a vote]

b. Issue # 73: Remove delayed conref domain
https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/download.php/62481/delayed_conref_revised.html (Houser, 12 Feb 2018)
- Alan; some mixed feelings about this, would love to find a use case, but nobody is using it, and only one workflow (DITA-OT w/eclipse) supports it.
Alan gave overview [summary of content in link above]
Should be easy to cover in migration guide; the use case for doing it is reducing complexity for implementors and tool vendors, even though almost no one has imnp;lemented it. So the proposal is basically to remove it from spec and grammar files. Stan has reviewed and posted approval to list. One point of unease is 'not knowing what we don't know'; do we really know that no one's using it? We know it's rare but I'd like a little more certainty...
- Kris; one benefit of removing it is that it's the least documented domain that we have in the spec, so we don't have to worry about reworking those topics.
- Robert; I'm the one who added this domain, and I'm fully in favor of removing it. No one at IBM is currently using it.
- Kris; will move it forward for vote next week.

8. DITA 2.0 stage two proposals: Continuing discussion
Issue #36: Remove deprecated items
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201802/msg00006.html (Eberlein, 1 Feb 2018)
- Kris; we had concerns about removing @navtitle; if folks are using it as a 'miscellaneous @', they can move the content to be within an xml-comment element; tools are generally more robust, and can cover the functionality. But we need to alert people now that it's going away.
- Eliot; one possibility that came up last week was re-naming @navtitle to an @ with a different name.
- Kris; do we want to go there? Isn't 2.0 about cleaning up, not adding stuff?
- Eliot; but there was a good bit of pushback last week...
- Chris; mostly from me, and I think I'm OK with it now.
- Nancy; what will we say in the migration guide about it?
- Kris; I think we should tell them to migrate content in @navtitle to be within an xml-comment element.
- Nancy; I'm afraid that removing something users are used to, and many use, may delay adoption of 2.0; even now, many users, and vendors, aren't using/supporting 1.3; it could take forever to get to 2.0 adoption.
- Tom; within the tools vendor or the user community.
- Nancy; I was thinking user community, though tool vendors are an issue as well.
- Tom; but the tools community really drives the adoption.
- Kris; we'll have to have different public IDs for 2.0, so folks can use 2.0 and 1.3 in tandem.
- Kris; so, do we want to get more user feedback? put a post on dita-users? get more data about how it's used?
***ActionItem: Nancy will post to dita-users about this.
Kris; what about DITA awareness group?
Keith; I can post something.
***ActionItem: Keith will post to DITA awareness group on this.
[wrap up next week]

9. DITA 2.0 stage two proposals: Vote
Issue #46: Remove xtrf and xtrc attributes
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201802/msg00021.html (Anderson, 2 Feb 2018)

Kris moved to approve this stage 2 proposal, seconded by Eric
Results:
Approve: Robert Anderson, Deb Bissantz, Carsten Brennecke, Bill Burns, Stan Doherty, Kris Eberlein, Carlos Evia, Richard Hamilton, Nancy Harrison, Alan Hauser, Scott Hudson, Eliot Kimber, Tom Magliery, Chris Nitchie, Keith Schenglie-Roberts, Eric Sirois, Dawn Stevens, Bob Thomas
No: 0
Approved by TC [unamimously]

10. DITA 2.0 stage three proposals
https://github.com/oasis-tcs/dita/projects/2
Query proposal owners for date by which they expect to submit proposal
Assign reviewers
#27: [Chris] still aiming for Feb 26, but might be dicey, since he also has a lot of other work on his plate. Just fyi, this feature got a lot of coverage because it was part of the LwD proposal.
Volunteered to review: Bill, Keith, Eliot
#15: [Chris] aiming for post Feb., can't be more specific at this time.
- Kris; do you want reviewers now, or when it's closer to ready?
- Chris; it can wait till it's closer to ready.

Other:
Kris; please look at item on dita-comment list on LwD CN; I've forwarded it to the TC list

11:53 am ET close

-- Ms. Nancy Harrison
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 13 February 2018

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Ms. Nancy Harrison