Subject: Re: [dita] Conref Vs. Transclusion and Using Non-DITA Data As DITA

<snip>

One advantage of Chris’ approach of using <include> with some signaling value of @parse is that it’s clear to an observer *of the source* that “magic goes here”. The disadvantage is that if you want to replace the magic with a reference to normal source you have to completely change the source from using <include> to using normal markup with conref.

I don’t see Chris’ approach as being more or less interchangeable than the magic URI approach, it’s only more obvious that configuration of the tools is required.

Which of these two sets of advantages and disadvantages is the more compelling I’m not sure.

</snip>

Yes to all of this. That’s exactly the tradeoff – encouraging the inclusion of content in arbitrary formats at the cost of opening up processing to unstandardized, non-portable customization. The question is whether the TC thinks the benefits are worth the cost. I think they are, but it’s something the TC needs to consider fully.

I’ll point out that most DITA processors, and all that use the OT, already open up processing to unstandardized, non-portable customization. You can use an OT plugin to do almost anything. Dependencies on such customizations are currently impossible to determine by looking at the DITA source. I think encouraging the explicit declaration of such dependencies has value.

Chris

I don’t have time at the moment to read carefully through Chris’ note but I will observe that in any scenario where non-DITA source data is being treated as though it was data there will have to be some processor-specific processing applied and thus there will be processor-specific stuff in the DITA source, whether it’s a magic URI or something else.

That is, there’s nothing we can do *in the source* to change that part of the problem and therefore nothing we can do to make processing of that kind of data more interchangeable—it will always require processor-specific stuff, however that gets configured.

One advantage of my magic URI approach is that it can be replaced with a non-magic version simply by statically generating the required DITA markup and changing the URI (which presumably you’ve isolated in a key definition). Nothing in the rest of the source document is effective. The disadvantage is that the fact that magic is required is signaled by the magic URI, which might be too obscure.

One advantage of Chris’ approach of using <include> with some signaling value of @parse is that it’s clear to an observer *of the source* that “magic goes here”. The disadvantage is that if you want to replace the magic with a reference to normal source you have to completely change the source from using <include> to using normal markup with conref.

I don’t see Chris’ approach as being more or less interchangeable than the magic URI approach, it’s only more obvious that configuration of the tools is required.

Which of these two sets of advantages and disadvantages is the more compelling I’m not sure.

I think we can also agree that the need for a general parameter mechanism is a constant for any approach—there has to be a way to configure the magic invocation in the source, regardless of what form that invocation takes.

I like the URI-based approach because it is general over all URI references, meaning it applies equally well to conref, topicref, and a new include element. It doesn’t require any architectural change to DITA.

But I suspect that most people would prefer the more obvious magic signaling in Chris’ proposal, even though it potentially requires more work to undo.

I’m also not keen on having too much direct reference to specific implementation components (e.g., transforms) in document source—that is definitely counter to XML practice generally and DITA practice in particular. I understand and appreciate the desire for a more-or-less standard way to configure magic, but we have to be careful about having that be standardized in appropriately.

http://contrext.com