Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 1 May 2018 uploaded

Submitter's message
Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 1 May 2018
Recorded by Tom Magliery
link to agenda for this meeting:
https://wiki.OASIS-open.org/dita/PreviousAgendas

Attendance: Robert Anderson, Deb Bissantz, Stanley Doherty, Maria Essig, Richard Hamilton, Nancy Harrison, Eliot Kimber, Tom Magliery, Christopher Nitchie, Eric Sirois, Robert Thomas
Non-voting members: Jim Tivy

Business
========
1. Roll call
Regrets: Kris Eberlein

2. Approve minutes from previous business meeting: (Postponed due to minutes unavailable)

3. Action Items: no updates

4. DITA NA debrief
Nancy: Does anyone have interesting things to report?
Nancy: How about the email to the list from Shane Taylor?
Robert: Shane was active in my session about DITA 2.0; these are followups to that. We'll decide later how to handle the suggestions. Everybody seems to loves nested steps and the new chunking design
Stan: A lot of new people are investigating DITA
Eliot: I was pleased how much discussion about keys was "this is how to use them" not "what are keys?"; and also by the number of new people

5. New item: Ruminations on the prohibition of for DITA content
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201804/msg00059.html (Nitchie, 12 April 2018)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201804/msg00060.html (Jim Tivy, 12 April 2018)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201804/msg00061.html (Kimber, 12 April 2018)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201804/msg00062.html (Rob Hanna, 12 April 2018)

Chris: probably these things point to leaving things the way they are. A LOT of people do use XInclude
Eliot: I disagree with that
Chris: let me set some context first
With the tools that we (Oberon) work with, CMSes etc. there's an issue where conref reuse is not given proper referential integrity.
CMSes will gneerally prevent you deleting the target of a conref (the *file*) but the system will not prevent you from deleting the *element* inside the file.
Because of that limitation many of our customers opt to use XInclude instead of conref to manage element-level conref.
I don't necessarily think that limitations of the vendor community are good reasons to make design changes, but at least wanted to raise the issue
Eliot: XInclude does not actually enable reuse because it's functionally equivalent to entities. It does copying not reuse.
XInclude is resolved at parse time not processing time. We can't really backpedal on the standard because 20-year-old tools are broken (and were broken on the day they were built).
[more discussion/nostalgia about xinclude/internal parsed entities]
Chris: we will need stage 3 reviewers for the include proposal
Eliot: interested
Robert: interested

8:30am PT close

-- Mr. Tom Magliery
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 1 May 2018

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Mr. Tom Magliery