Subject: Re: [dita] Question about xml mention domain

Chris

From: <dita@lists.oasis-open.org> on behalf of Eliot Kimber <ekimber@contrext.com>
Date: Tuesday, June 5, 2018 at 10:20 AM
To: Jang <jang@jang.nl>, DITA Technical Committee <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>

Hmm, the XML spec does seem to be clear:

“Names beginning with the string "xml", or with any string which would match (('X'|'x') ('M'|'m') ('L'|'l')), are reserved for standardization in this or future versions of this specification.”

https://www.w3.org/TR/xml/#sec-well-formed

So the element types “xmlelement”, “xmlatt”, “xmlnsname”, and “xmlpi” would appear to be technically non-conforming. However, I find it interesting that no-one (myself included, who certainly should have remembered this aspect of the XML spec since I was a member of the XML Working Group) and no XML parser has ever flagged this, so it’s clearly not enforced. Likewise, with the advent of namespaces, the need to reserve local names is largely removed so the actual practical value of this aspect of the XML spec is minimal.

That said, it would probably be appropriate to correct this in DITA 2.0. An easy fix would be to replace “xml” with a domain-specific prefix, e.g. “xd”, and add that prefix to the other element type names in the domain.

But since it clearly causes no actual practical problems as far as we know, I don’t see a need to do anything for DITA 1.x.

http://contrext.com